Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Carb problem

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  gnwestco 
#1 ·
Just joined hoping to find someone with specific knowledge on this problem.
83 VF750F (owned since new, 55K miles)

Starts on choke, but revs fairly high (3-5k), takes 15 minutes or so before I can take off choke completely, then seems to idle ok for 10 or 20 seconds, but often dies.
Won't take throttle well (dies), but with some choke and throttle the revs rise but the engine seems to "hang up" with high revs and takes a long time (5-10 sec) to come down to idle

(new plugs, accel coils/wires, new pulse gen, new batt, carbs cleaned, valves set, decent compression)

Anybody ever have this problem or know the possible solutions?

#3 ·
Thanks. Yes it has been sitting. Tried Seafoaming them clean, but gave up and just took them out to clean them properly. Did a rebuild 3 yrs ago and didn't want to take them out again (serious PITA)...of course I cracked two of the fuel tubes and am now trying to figure out which ones from suppliers' horrible schematics.

#4 ·
Working on the carbs is just one of the numerous difficulties of the V-four engines.
What do you mean by "fuel tubes"?

#5 ·
They make up the fuel supply line connections between carbs. Some sort of plastic with o-rings. The one I replaced last time came in aluminum (much better). The first one between 1 and 2 is a T fitting for the fuel line, the others between 2 and 3 and 3 and 4 are straight.

#7 ·
Sounds like you've been into to these a few times! Thanks. Going crazy trying to figure out that diagram..do you know which is which? I don't need the air joint tubes that connect to the airbox, just the 1-2 T and the 2-3 straight fuel joint connectors. Do you know if aluminum has superseded the plastic ones? Just used Cheapcycle parts for brake pistons etc, a little slow, but they had the parts and not too pricey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.