Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Just out of interest, does anyone know the use of a TPS on a carbed bike?
As in, what indication would you get if it had gone bad?
Just wondering as after doing a fair few things to correct a fluttery idle and poor pulling away i'm coming at a loss.
Just interested to hear what the TPS actually does as it's not like fueling is controlled by the ECU, lol.

cheers

·
Registered
596 Posts
sorry, no idea, but i was running the bike the other day for a while before i realized i had neglected to plug the TPS back in. there was no noticeable difference between plugged/unpplugged. so i have the same question.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
It's possible. As you said, not much it can really do, and my guess is it takes throttle position to the ECU and it changes or adjusts spark advance/retard?? Huge guess there, but I see it serving no other purpose as it obviously can't do anything as far as fuel metering.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah, my guess would be that it give the computer a calculated load to adjust timing. Otherwise it's just running a base value regardless of load like my 250RR.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, i found out today that the connector on my starter relay i melted through. haha. very VERY poor connections. going to replace both solenoid and plug, that could possibly be it? Dodgy relay causing poor ignition until the revs cause reg/rec to up the voltage going through the system? did find it odd that at off voltage was 12.6, idle 12.1, then 5k revs around 14v

1 - 7 of 7 Posts