Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbd: ya I got a 96 and i got at least 2 carbs leakin fuel (about 10 drops per min) still ridable but, anyways just wonderin if anybodys had carb problems and if it's just a gasket change and off I go! any comments? thanx :hmm:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just a guess, but I would bet that the gasket has hardned. I think that you could just replace the float bowl gaskets to fix it. I will soon be in need of a set for the sv as well. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey all, I've been searching the forums for my issue and I think this is the closest ongoing forum posting so far I found.

I have a 99 900cbr rr with about 23k miles on it. The bike runs very good at just about all rpms. No bogging down or over all crap performance, but.... I have a hefty gas leak (drips every 5 secs) from the 2 right carbs from the metal tube(vacuum tube?) on the bottom of the carb.

Question is this: If the bike runs well, but the leaking gas is dripping out of the tubes, is this an air leak somewhere that is preventing a tight vacuum seal? If my plugs are not fouled, there is no clogging? Would just a gasket seal replacement be the first thing to give a shot? It could be hardened and shot to hell with all that wear.

Regards
-curtis

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll try that when i get home. I'll tap the bottom of the carbs and see if freeing up the float will solve it for the time being. Thanks

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
I second that thought. You can fix the bottom seal ( float bowl) but if you have a stuck float your asking for trouble by not at least checking it out.

Also, if you have two seals that are leaking, it's time to replace all the seals in all the carbs. The other carb seals will start leaking soon. They are expensive items but it's worth it. You're bike could easily catch on fire soon if left unrepaired properly.

Do not attempt to fix the carbs without the manual.. lots of parts and tricks to putting the carbs together correctly. Do it on a clean table indoors or in a garage where no spark or flame are near like a hot water heater, etc. I did mine once on the sidewalk and even with being very careful dirt got inside and partially clogged a couple passages.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts