Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 cbr 900rr that I want to put carbs on. I can find carbs from 93-95 will they fit my 97?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,045 Posts
I have a 97 cbr 900rr that I want to put carbs on. I can find carbs from 93-95 will they fit my 97?
Yes they will fit straight in. The only caveat is they don't have the Throttle Position Sensor. Also, the jetting will be a little different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sfor the reply, Will the throttle position sensor from my old carbs fit on the new carbs? After installing will the new carbs be a hassle to sync with the different jetting?

·
8,045 Posts
Thanks sfor the reply, Will the throttle position sensor from my old carbs fit on the new carbs? After installing will the new carbs be a hassle to sync with the different jetting?
What years would be a direct match?
No it won't fit on the older carbs 93-95. You could take the entire carb body off the 96 carbs and put that one on the older carbs. But if you do that bear in mind that where the float needle sits has a larger port and the needle itself is larger. Other than that they should be virtually identical.

96-99 will all work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. The reason im asking is because The o rings in the t-valves going into the fuel rail between the carburetors (where the fuel lines connect) are leaking gas on both sides. I figured it would be easier to get some quality used carbs to replace my old ones. From what I understand it's almost impossible to get the carbs back in sync after separating them completely. What do you recommend I do? Get the older carbs and some how bypass the tps or would newer 98-99 carbs have the same tps? Or should I pay potentially 700$ to get the rings replaced and re synced? Good used carbs are 150-200

·
8,045 Posts
Thank you. The reason im asking is because The o rings in the t-valves going into the fuel rail between the carburetors (where the fuel lines connect) are leaking gas on both sides. I figured it would be easier to get some quality used carbs to replace my old ones. From what I understand it's almost impossible to get the carbs back in sync after separating them completely. What do you recommend I do? Get the older carbs and some how bypass the tps or would newer 98-99 carbs have the same tps? Or should I pay potentially 700$ to get the rings replaced and re synced? Good used carbs are 150-200
The 98-99 carbs will go right in and your TPS will connect right to them, but what I suggest is cheaper and a lot more fun.

My suggestion is to get a manual, buy new o-rings, separate the carbs and replace the o-rings yourself. That will save you hundreds of dollars in unnecessary costs. It's a myth about the sync being hard to adjust, and even if it did need adjusting it would still cost you far less to have a reputable shop do it for you if you do the o-rings yourself. I had move broken down twice last year, and the sync was barely out.

Just take pictures before you start for reference. The hardest part is remembering where the small springs go, like the small one in the middle here:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts