Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some work rebuilding my 96 900rr after somebody backed into her :pissed: After pulling the gas tank and re-installing it, I have a fuel leak that looks like it is coming from the fuel joint o-rings between carb 1&2 and between 3&4. So my question is can the o-rings be replaced with out rebuilding the carbs? I have not had time to pull the carbs off the bike yet, but have spent a lot of time reading the service manual and reading posts on this and other forums on how to take care of this issue, sill coming up empty handed :huh: Bike runs really well, but leaks. I replaced the jets about 2 years ago with no issues, I have a small understanding of motorcycle carbs and would like to take care of this issue without having to take it to the honda dealership and need advice. What parts do i need besides the o-rings??
According to the parts list on this page

BEAVERTON MOTORCYCLES

I need to get the gaskets at #7 or get the joint and gaskets #4.

Any advice would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I have been doing some work rebuilding my 96 900rr after somebody backed into her :pissed: After pulling the gas tank and re-installing it, I have a fuel leak that looks like it is coming from the fuel joint o-rings between carb 1&2 and between 3&4. So my question is can the o-rings be replaced with out rebuilding the carbs? I have not had time to pull the carbs off the bike yet, but have spent a lot of time reading the service manual and reading posts on this and other forums on how to take care of this issue, sill coming up empty handed :huh: Bike runs really well, but leaks. I replaced the jets about 2 years ago with no issues, I have a small understanding of motorcycle carbs and would like to take care of this issue without having to take it to the honda dealership and need advice. What parts do i need besides the o-rings??
According to the parts list on this page

BEAVERTON MOTORCYCLES

I need to get the gaskets at #7 or get the joint and gaskets #4.

Any advice would be helpful.

You need to seperate the carbs to do them but it's not particularly difficult. Grease the o-rings during assembly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to take the carbs apart in order to replace the o-rings. Now i do believe i need to get the carbs synced. The headers are getting very hot (glowing hot) on cylinders 2, 3 & 4 but 1 was still cold. Is this usual for non synced carbs?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I had to take the carbs apart in order to replace the o-rings. Now i do believe i need to get the carbs synced. The headers are getting very hot (glowing hot) on cylinders 2, 3 & 4 but 1 was still cold. Is this usual for non synced carbs?

If you didn't mess with the synch screws they should be pretty close.
But synching is never a bad thing.
If the header is cold then clearly it is not firing.
Check the plug is clean and has spark.
Is there any vacuum feed to that cylinder?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sync screws had to be removed to replace the o-rings. I will have to pull the plugs tomorrow to see if it is fouled or smells like fuel. I do not know where i would find the vacuum to that cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
The sync screws had to be removed to replace the o-rings. I will have to pull the plugs tomorrow to see if it is fouled or smells like fuel. I do not know where i would find the vacuum to that cylinder.

Okay, often you can simply seperate the carbs without touching the synch screws. You can do a rough synch using a small drill bit as a feeler gauge under the throttle plates.
Follow the vacuum lines from the vacuum chamber part#34 on the fiche you posted earlier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All cylinders are firing, syncing the carbs was the biggest problem I was having. The number 1 cylinder was not cold, just not red hot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts