Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't turn this into a caliber debate, and I hope it doesn't, but what do you guys carry in your pistols for personal protection ammo?

I'm currently running CorBon 125gr +P in my 9mm, and CorBon 230gr +p in my 1911. In my XD40 I'm running 180gr Speer GoldDot.

Dano

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I don't carry, but .45ACP 230g Golden Sabres in the house.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
luvtolean said:
I don't carry, but .45ACP 230g Golden Sabres in the house.
Our Training and Firearms sections conducted tests on a variety of .45 ACP ammunition over the course of the last several months. The results of the tests caused the PD to switch from Speer Gold Dot in 230gr to the Golden Sabres in the same weight.

I love 'em. :cool:

:twocents:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Chain said:
Our Training and Firearms sections conducted tests on a variety of .45 ACP ammunition over the course of the last several months. The results of the tests caused the PD to switch from Speer Gold Dot in 230gr to the Golden Sabres in the same weight.

I love 'em. :cool:

:twocents:
:thumb:

I don't have any real world stuff to go by, so I had to read. I read a bunch of reports and the FBI, at least at one time, was using them in their .45's. I've never seen them rated poorly. Then I found a whole bunch at a gunshow for a good price, so I bought all the guy had to fire a couple hundred to verify it in the gun, and store the rest. I have found the bullets to corrode (green) fairly easily, but the nickel cases stay nice and shiny.

·
Registered
682 Posts
As you probably know we Cdns cannot carry a h/gun & it is totally illegal to use any form of f/arm to protect self or family even if one or several people breaking in are with h/guns in hand. Sort of a bummer, but that is life in these days.

By the way criminals can carry anything they want & use it in any way they so wish for they do NOT have to go through all the red-tape to own any form of a f/arm & even more so when it comes to a "pistol" as the midia of types.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Home defence:
30-06........... Winchester Black Talon 180gr
AK 7.62X39.... Hollow points and FMJ I have no preferance in brand as there are plenty of back up rounds to follow.
12ga .............Rottweil 3" slug backed up w/ 2 oo buck
44mag............ silvertip forget what gr

Carry:
9mm .............Hydra shok
38 derringer.... Remington Golden saber JHP125gr +p

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
take your carry gun to the range with a box of each of the commercial rounds. See for yourself what you shoot the best with the gun. Last time, I think I had five different boxes to test with.

• Cor-Bon Standard
    Georgia Arms Gold Dot
    Hornady XTP
    Federal Hydra Shok
    Winchester Silver Tip
I ended up with silver tips for the G.20.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes sir, and that's how I got to the ammo I carry now. Each gun has different characteristics with different ammo. It took me quite some time to find which pistol shot which ammo the best. I think it's time to cycle out the old stuff and try a new batch of each. Always a good reason to waste some paper.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
same here. My USP prints best and most accurate for me with Speer Gold Dot 230grs... Very controllable round too when firing from the floor on my back or with my weak hand! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts