Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well some people ask police how to get out of tickets, so Im gonna ask any medical folks if there is a way to remove a fiberglass cast from an arm. I know this is odd, but here is the story. A buddy of mine decided to tag along to Florida with the family this year. He fractured his scaphoid a while back and has an appt to get the cast off Fri. Well since he is at the beach, he wants it off now so he can get some sun. Any of you med folks or others know of a way to remove a cast at home? He says the arm feels fine and the doc told him that it was definatley comming off Fri so I dont think it will hurt anything. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
I have a friend in Ohio who broke his arm in a motocross accident (many years ago). He soaked and softened it in the bathtub and just pulled it off prematurely, and was out riding his MX bike way before he should have been. In your case, I don't think 3 or 4 days would be a big whoopdeedoo. But, you should listen to the medical experts.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was his a plaster cast or a fiberglass one? I know that plaster will soften up, but Im unsure about a fiber one... Id hate for him to soak it and it do nothing but get the lining wet and nasty...
Chris

·
Registered
929 Posts
Use what the doctors office does (similar) - a Dremel with a cutoff blade. Cut down to the cotton (it protects the limb) and pull cast off.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Use a proper power tool....you know, something along the lines of a chainsaw.

...or a dremel.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used a dremel with a cut-off blade to remove my fiberglass cast. Still wasn't easy so the wife had to help. Be Careful though! A cut-off blade goes cuts like crazy and will sink right through and give you a nasty burn. The toughest part is splitting the cast apart. That's where it helps to have two people. Doctors use a vibrating blade that free spins. You can push it right into your skin with no effect.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Actually, tinsnips aren't a bad idea, but will take some time.

For the Dremel, make sure he has someone else do the cutting.

You could also try some of the chemicals geared for cleaning up resin spills. But be careful, some won't be good for the skin.

Worse comes to worse, have him go into the ER and tell them it's driving him nuts, it itches, burns, etc. And if he doesn't get it off ASAP he's going to take it off. This will usually convince them (especially this close to him getting it off anyway) to pop out the saw and remove it for him.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
if you don't have any of those tools a hacksaw will work fine, and it doesn't cut the skin very easily so if you are careful and go slow should be a piece of cake!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts