Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,397 Posts
people still use these things?????? Wow.... Ya see some people with those HAM radio antenna's flopping around but haven't seen a CB antenna on anything but a truck since "Smokey and the Bandit".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mojave954 said:
people still use these things?????? Wow.... Ya see some people with those HAM radio antenna's flopping around but haven't seen a CB antenna on anything but a truck since "Smokey and the Bandit".

I know, that's why I think it's cool. I'm going to start a trend so that they make a "comeback" (pun intended).

HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,098 Posts
I ride with a couple of guys that have CB on their VFR's....you would not believe how many speed traps we have avoided while on the slab.... :sless:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,599 Posts
I've got a CB in my WRX. It sits dormant most of the year, only coming out to play on long distance trips. The K40 magnetic base is in the trunk, stuck to the underside of the rear tray. The stubby antenna is there too; I take the long antenna only when I know that I'll be using the radio. With the long, thick, white antenna on the car, it looks like a 1:1 RC car :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2OHOH2 said:
I've got a CB in my WRX. It sits dormant most of the year, only coming out to play on long distance trips. The K40 magnetic base is in the trunk, stuck to the underside of the rear tray. The stubby antenna is there too; I take the long antenna only when I know that I'll be using the radio. With the long, thick, white antenna on the car, it looks like a 1:1 RC car :D

What brand/model radio do you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
I have one in my jeeps and my truck. The jeeps I need them because the off-road club I'm in requires them for our wheeling events. I have one in my truck because I plow highways for the state and this is the way we communicate. So, I guess I'm one of the few left who uses a cb on a regular basis. I have a midland 290 in my jeep because it's the smallest I could find. I have a cobra something or another in my truck.
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,599 Posts
Heavy-Dee said:
What brand/model radio do you have?
Some Radio Shack model. I'll look it up.





OK, since you guys seem to like the RC car thing, I'll mount the antenna sometime soon, and take a pic :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
Dan,

I only use a CB with my Corvette Club functions. Mostly to keep the group together on road trips. I have a Radio Shack TRC-225 which is old enough that you cannot get one today I'll wager, but may find something smaller and better like it at RS. It is walke-talkie sized with a 9 inch rubber antenna, self contained so nothing to mount. It works well for what we need. It is battery or DC power off the car, so it could be used for hiking as well.

I bought it (actually 2) when my wife and I were moving cross country and both driving seperate cars. Invaluable for that use.

However, if your purpose is to monitor the highway for smokey reports, you'd be better off with a Valentine 1 or other top level radar detector. It's not worth putting up with the illegally AMPLIFIED good buddies from Mexico discussing roadside diners and scags in Tucson when you are trying to avoid LEOs in Michigan!

My 2 cents. (Smilies aren't working for some reason?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maxib said:
It's not worth putting up with the illegally AMPLIFIED good buddies from Mexico discussing roadside diners and scags in Tucson when you are trying to avoid LEOs in Michigan!
That's part of the reason I want one! Entertainment factor! Besides I HATE radar detectors. They're so freaking annoying!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,466 Posts
I have one in my Impreza as well. My radio is/was shiet and gave up the ghost over the winter, but my antenna is kick ass. I have a wilson 500 and I get around 10km (uh... 6miles) range radius.

FWIW, http://radioworld.ca is a terrific shop up here in Toronto.

As for the remote control car thing... yes, mine does too!! hahah.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,086 Posts
I have two Cobra 148GTL SSB units that I use for trips. They get about 20 miles on the SSB side reliably. Maybe stretch that out to 50 in the country. We also use the Motorola hand-held talkabouts for car-to-car and the Chatterboxes which can talk to the talkabouts :rolleyes: :huh:
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I have a special one that also has 10 meter, and side band, and also a cheap one for my truck at work. You can pick up Cobra 19s pretty cheap, and they last a long time. I use a Wilson 1000 magmount for my cage. The K-40 is also a good antenna. Cobra 25, and 29 are real good radios.

Cobras linky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,466 Posts
The Wilson 1000 is terrific and the Wilson 500 / K40 are comparable. The mount for K40 is much nicer as you can leave the base and remove the whip at the twist of a wrist - a definite necessity for those of us that park underground. The magnetic mount scratched the hell out of my car because of all the times I removed it. :rant:

As for the radios... ssb gets that much more distance?? Holy crap.
edit: More info on ssb please. Sorry, I'm old school and have only ever used regular CB (AM) radio's... :idunno: Do they operate over the same freq. range? Is there a specific channel you use to speak with truckers/public (i.e. the known 19 channel) etc?

How much distance do you guys get from your straight CB (AM) radio?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,596 Posts
I have an old K40 unit with K40 antennae (circa 80's I think) that I hook up for family road trips. It comes in handy avoiding traffic backups, as well as LEO's. The CB and my V1 helps me avoid tickets too...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
Heavy-Dee said:
That's part of the reason I want one! Entertainment factor! Besides I HATE radar detectors. They're so freaking annoying!
Oh!
:eek:

Well, in that case................nevermind! :D


I forgot to say in the other thread that I like your new Suzi too.

Done the Av ambers yet???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,086 Posts
nomad said:
As for the radios... ssb gets that much more distance?? Holy crap.
edit: More info on ssb please. Sorry, I'm old school and have only ever used regular CB (AM) radio's... :idunno: Do they operate over the same freq. range? Is there a specific channel you use to speak with truckers/public (i.e. the known 19 channel) etc?

How much distance do you guys get from your straight CB (AM) radio?
What is Single Side-band?
SSB uses the upper and lower side of the CB allocated spectrum so you have 3 "channels" instead of 1 for each step of the dial. So you can use the CB channel 19, or go to the UPPER or LOWER side of it and tansmit on SSB. This would not be a nice thing to do if there are other people close to you on the same AM channel. You use a clarifier in SSB mode to home in on the other tranmitter and the sound can resemble someone talking on helium until you do. I have talked to people in Japan and Austrailia from Texas on my stock radio when "skip" is active. "CQDX!"
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top