Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been a definitive answer? I will need to get my name on the Ducati wait list if they not sending a beloved Honda CB1000R. :(

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Not sure if you guys are getting one, but over here they have already been released I believe...

I saw one on the road a few weeks back on an 09 Plate...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
as much as i would love to see it over here, i highly doubt honda will bring anything new to the states for at least a couple years..

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Why not get it set up for your state before you import it? :idunno:
Checked it out, it is a nice bike mmmm
You have to prove it meets the fedeal requirements. Either the manufacturer has to provide the proof, or you have to pay the gov't to inspect it. There are a few companies that can do the modifications for you and then report back that it is in compliance to the DOT.

Vehicle Importation Guidelines

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Not so in the US. Some people bring gray market vehicles in without going through the process. There are times they are caught and all of the motorcycles that are in the container are destroyed.

So, one could try ti import one and not go through the legal process, but if you get caught, the bike you just paid for is destroyed. So if you paid $15,000 for it, that money is gone. If you go through the legal process, you pay the $15,000, then 1.5 times that as a bond. So a new total is $37,500. You still have to get it brought up to the standards NHTSA wants. The easy way is to get Honda USA to certify the vehicle meets NHTSA standards. I doubt you will get them to do that though; they have no vested interest in doing so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel Honda could do well with the CB1k here in the US. In light of the aging population like me who cannot tolerate the extreme riding postion of the repli racers but who love the power.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was lucky enough to have a CBR1000RR8 on loan from Honda for a couple of weeks, and it was a stonker-easy to ride, huge power output (compared to my 1996 RRS) BUT after 2.5 hours it was so uncomfortable-shoulders ached like mad, cramped legs, pumped up forearms. I cold never do 500 miles a day on it like i could my RRS.

Then Honda loaned me a CBF1000, which because of it's looks, I wanted to dislike from the outset. But the riding position and comfort made it a lot easier to ride than the RR-8 Blade, and over my usual 50 mile "test" route, took about the same on the CBF as it did on the RR-8.

I realise now I'm getting old, as comfort means more to me than looks and balls out power. Pass my pipe and slippers please...................

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am 52 and 6' 1" and the first thing I did was order some new clipons with risers (3.5") and change the rear sets and it immediately relieved that cramped feeling. What I love about the 08 is how lite and nimble it feels in traffic. When I move it out of my shop it is so easy to push around. I love the thing as my daily ride to work...15 minutes tops and I'm home for lunch! I have a power cruiser (Vrod) for the long trips as I don't know many folks that ride for 500 miles on a sport bike unless they are short and young!! Anything over 500lbs is too much for a daily comute. Jeb

1 - 18 of 18 Posts