Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey so, I have read that 2006 CBR 1000 wheels (front/rear) are straight swap to a 954rr. I have read some claim spacers will be needed, and I have seen most people dismiss that and say it is straight swap, no problem with rotors etc.

I have then found a post saying that 2004-2016 wheels (front rear) are all straight swap within CBR 1000 to CBR 1000 models.

I am doing the very complicated math here...

I am assuming I can buy wheels rated for CBR 1000 2009-2015 and put them on my 954rr.

I am wondering cuuuuus I had a valve stem fail on me on the highway at 90mph+ in rush hour traffic on a strip of highway that was all cut up from construction. It was really swell. I was in the HOV lane with nowhere to pull off to the left, there being concrete construction barriers and all. Made it home after filling up a couple times at 2 stations but I rode it flat quite a ways muscling it with my footsies dangling a bit (especially turning left at a light ugh) and Idk yet if I may have slightly bent my front rim. It looks aaalright I think but I can't be sure until it's ridden or someone with a keener eye inspects it.

I got new tires coming (Pirelli Angel St.. love them... I was about at the end of my Michelins anyway) and I was thinking if the front wheel is damaged I may just put new wheels on.

I found these of course: https://www.amazon.com/Arashi-CBR1000RR-Motorcycle-Replacement-Accessories/dp/B0798KVMSX/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PO5XC220CZR2&keywords=cbr+1000+arashi+wheels&qid=1662525851&sprefix=cbr+1000+arashi+wheel,aps,126&sr=8-1

You can find them in white, red and gold also... all these colors would work on my bike I think, and I can find them coming with new rotors which are swell and I was thinking of putting some new Arashi rotors on soon anyway. It's like $100 extra for new front/rear rotors with the wheels already installed.

I am just having fantasies of new motorcycle parts. I know. I have a problem. Please send help.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
i know the 06 has 320mm rotors and the 954 has 330mm. so, im not sure how much of a straight swap that would be, maybe the 954 rotors fit the 06's bolt pattern? anyway, if you want to have your front rim repaired, i can recommend "will's rim repair" found on fb. i used him after a gnarly get off that really wrecked my front rim. it was so bad that i would have never thought it couild be fixed, but after some consultation with him, he said send it. it took a couple weeks, and im sure that mostly depends on his work load, but it came back straighter than factory tolerances and painted to look good as new for less than the cost of buying a good used rim from ebay. he also checked the rotors were straight while he had it. he has a big following in the wera race day crowd, which is where i heard about him. that was going on ten years ago, not totally sure if he even still does work, but thought id pass that onto you if you do end up needing a reputable rim repair service.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. OK so after I made the post, I realized the rotors were likely not the same size however it is my understanding that the bolt pattern should be the same around the same age, I believe I have seen people say at least up around 06 that the wheels are straight swap and people have put the rotors on from the 954rr on to the 1000 wheels. But I am not sure about newer years. But yeah I found someone claiming a very large range of the CBR 1000 wheels being straight swap between other cbr 1000 years and if that is true then in theory I should be able to put my 954rr rotors on the CBR 1000 wheels and be golden. I am getting a lot of this from posts online and I am just wanting to see someone who has first hand experience or confirmation, you know. Because I found the rear wheel sold in single on ebay in the USA for like $240 of the type I linked, and the front single being sold for like $200 or less. Not sure why the bundles are more expensive everywhere. But I would love to put those wheels on.

I got my new tires in the mail today, but I got some new valve stems yesterday and I installed one on the front wheel and it is holding air and riding just fine. Rode to work and back today. So I think the wheel is fine. No stability issues, no pulsing, no braking issues, etc.

Still, the fantasy remains lol

New wheels...

Some day.... dot dot dot

I wish the wheel was bent!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Well, I won't fault ya for the idea of slapping in some 1000 rims because it's a thought I've had in the past myself. It's been a while, but I do remember reading in my own research that one of the two rims was a direct swap, but the other requires some new spacers. Which really isn't as big a deal as it might sound... The 1000 rims are so much better looking than the three spokes the 954 has, and probably a nice decrease in unsprung weight too.

Anyway, I know it can be done, but Its been a good minute since I did any research on the swap personally.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah man. Its one of the only details I dislike about the looks of the bike. I still have the wheels in chrome (not the biggest fan when the frame is also chrome... one of the reasons I have carbon frame/swingarm covers coming, aside from reducing felt heat), and the 3 spokes just iiiisnt the best. Especially the way the spokes are designed. I have also seen posts about certain year ranges requiring spacers, and I have also seen people claim that isn't actually the case. Lots of conflicting info. Yeah those wheels look fire in comparison and I am sure they are way lighter. Thanks again

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont want to start yet another thread for a similar question...

Does anybody know if I can put a cbr 1000 front fender on my 954? Maybe from like a near year range? I have seen someone say they "think" it can be done, and also there are carbon fiber front fenders listed for the 954 that look like they were molded from a 1000.

I like the 1000 front fender much better, and you can find carbon front fenders for the 1000 about 100 buckaroos cheaper. So, yanno.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts