Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

CBR 600RR strange rattle

6K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  spykedsystem 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello guys!

I've been experiencing some problems with a 2006 600RR. I have this rattle like noise that appeared out of nowhere, and at first I thought it was the CCT, I replaced it with an APE, but the noise is still there. Today with a relatively cold engine, I revved the bike to 3k RPM and managed to trace the noise to the clutch cover side.
The noise happens regardless if the engine is cold or hot.

UPDATE: In the end this was a CCT issue, this is like the Honda kryptonite.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I did a quick check around there, nothing seemed off or lose, but then again I didn't remove the plates or the basket. however never had to deal with the clutch assembly. This rattle I have, doesn't remind me of anything I heard on previous bikes,ever,and I cannot find anyone with this issue on the web, so I am trying to see if anyone has any clue of what would make that noise.

#4 ·
UPDATE: I've been messing around with the clutch basket and noticed the outer basket and gear assembly have quite a bit of play push/pull, like it slides on the shaft, the inner hub has no play. I know there is a shim like spacer between the hub and the basket, could this be causing the rattle? Why would the basket have this amount of pull/push play? it doesnt seem to wobble but i can pull it and push it on the shaft about 3-4 mm, and the cage itself has radial movement on the gear, which means the springs are worn? anyone has any ideas about this?

EDIT: The noise is louder just past the point where the clutch cover meets the engine case, above the clutch basket itself, if this makes sense.

#7 ·
Hi, you could be looking at a new bearing , the one that sits inside the outer clutch drive, its number 21 here on this list with Partzilla ( I assume your in the USA), before you do take a look and take the nut off to get it out, paint a small dot of paint on all the cog teeth that are touching other drive gears, as when you put it back on its easier to locate the lugs that it should sit in on the back of the clutch drive, are your steel and fibre plates within specs as well.
Honda Motorcycle Parts 2006 CBR600RR A CLUTCH Diagram

#8 ·
Hey again and thanks for the reply. I was also thinking it might be that bloody needle bearing going to ****. I live in Europe, I'll repost once I get a rattle gun to take the basket out. At this point I think i will wait a little to save some cash and purchase the entire assembly new, just for peace of mind, as those damper springs from the back seem too loose also and those tang marks seem a bit too deep and will probably make the clutch slip/stick in the near future. Fiber plates look good, steel plates look decent and will probably need replacement aswell, with a new complete kit. I'll come back with news as soon as I take it off, as many people seem to have this issue and none resolved it so far, everyone keeps replacing the CCT, cause that sound is awfully similar to cam chain noise, which is not. Thanks again!

#10 ·
Damn these parts in euro are double the price. Anyway, the cold weather is here so i'm opening it up tomorrow. Meanwhile I managed to capture the noise while riding. Seems like the loudest point is right between the clutch and starter clutch. Take a look, you'll hear a loud ringing/rattle like noise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.