Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a new stator and rectifier in my bike last january and ran great all year and rode it a couple times this year and went out to start it after a ride and the battery was dead replaced the battery with a new interstate battery and rode it a couple times and was dead. So I took off my tail piece to look at the rectifier and a couple of the wires isulation was off looks like it got really hot, and the connector under the seat that goes to the stator the plastic was partially melted. I dont know what to do, dont know if I have a bad ground or what.:idunno:

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I put a new stator and rectifier in my bike last january and ran great all year and rode it a couple times this year and went out to start it after a ride and the battery was dead replaced the battery with a new interstate battery and rode it a couple times and was dead. So I took off my tail piece to look at the rectifier and a couple of the wires isulation was off looks like it got really hot, and the connector under the seat that goes to the stator the plastic was partially melted. I dont know what to do, dont know if I have a bad ground or what.:idunno:
My guess is that the stator is fried.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
what would make my stator go bad that fast? Its not even a year old
Same reason the previous one died, design by Honda.
If it's less than a year old maybe make a warranty claim?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stator I bought was from electro sport and I cant remember where I got the rectifier maybe ebay? Probably should just take it to a mechanic but theres not a lot of places around here besides honda and they charge way to much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there something I can use to test the stator to see if theres power comming out of it? Or test my regulator to see if its letting the power to my bike? I dont know if the stator was working but the regulator was fried if it would just stop the current at the regulator:idunno:

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Is there something I can use to test the stator to see if theres power comming out of it? Or test my regulator to see if its letting the power to my bike? I dont know if the stator was working but the regulator was fried if it would just stop the current at the regulator:idunno:
Of course, a voltmeter or multimeter.
About $20 at any electrical place.
Try to get one that does VAC up to 100VAC or so.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Electrical components get hot when your electrical system draws more current through them than they are designed to take. For example my connectors melted because I got water in a connector and it caused a short circuit. This lowered the resistance of the system, it drew more current and it overheated :crap:

I would check how much current your system is drawing as there is probably a short (or partial short) circuit somewhere in your wiring :eek:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright ill go buy one when i get off work, my haynes manual describes how to test for some stuff so I can try and fugure it out hopefully. But I probably do have other issues, the turn signals dont work anymore either so who knows

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Alright ill go buy one when i get off work, my haynes manual describes how to test for some stuff so I can try and fugure it out hopefully. But I probably do have other issues, the turn signals dont work anymore either so who knows
They don't work even with a fully charged battery?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I purchased my stator from DennisK but manufactured by ElectroSport, after 50 miles the efin thing died on my so I requested an RMA, the RMA stator works fine now but I made an other HUGE mistake I purchased the ElectroSport 2 and 3 pin connector to replace the stator and voltage rectifier and after a 1000 miles the connectors melted.

I ended using barrel connector to hard wire the stator/voltage rectifier so far no problems what so ever.

I've no idea where to buy a solid reliable connector, that's why I hard wire though.

Cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea im hardwiring it not using the connections it is my regulator its fried so you think the ebay ones are fine? They are like 30 shipped, through honda is 190, and electrosport is 100, and my signals worked when i got the bike but ever since i started replacing the stator and rr they havent worked they sometimes work if i just have the bikes key on but not started but if the bikes on they dont work

·
Registered
103 Posts
keep in mind that if you are going for a cheap stator, well no offense but you get what you pay for besides each time you work on your stator is a new gasket job
Better buy one gasket and buy the gasket sheet so you can make you own. And yeah hard wiring I think is best.
Cheers

Check my gallery to see my burn/melted ElectroSport connectors, Stator and Voltage Rectifier.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
keep in mind that if you are going for a cheap stator, well no offense but you get what you pay for besides each time you work on your stator is a new gasket job
Better buy one gasket and buy the gasket sheet so you can make you own. And yeah hard wiring I think is best.
Cheers
You only need a new gasket if you're using a sealant that tears it.
Agreed on hard-wiring.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Um... im becoming familiar with stator and RRs as well.I installed a electrosport stator tonight, and its got 30VAC from the stator pins and charging at around 14.8 from the rec/reg. I hada fried connector as well....also search the word "gremlin" its a post about a fried ground harness in the main harness...could be a reason by your blinker etc have stopped working. I noticed about a year ago that my ground (green) stop grounding, I caulked it up to old age and just reground anything that was faulty (idiot) until I found the ground connector on the main harness today. Mine was toast, used some solder joints and got that squared away and used a nice "marine" 3 pin connector fom my stator/rec, all is well as of tonight (just put new stator in).

As far as testing the stator once you have the connection seperated just run the bike and see if you get AC voltage out of the stator by connecting your multimeter to each of the wires (3 wires), you should see voltage no matter what the combo you have the multimeter probes on.

I hope all these electro sport issues people are having are because there are other issues, I thought electrosports was a reputable dealer, but maybe I was wrong, I know that if this stator I just put in shits the bed Ill be sucking it up and buying an OEM one.

When you guys say "hard wiring" do you mean with a solder joint or butt connector or just straight wire to wire and insulate somehow?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
When you guys say "hard wiring" do you mean with a solder joint or butt connector or just straight wire to wire and insulate somehow?
Solder is best but bullet crimps should be fine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so i have riden my bike about ten times for about 30 min each time and battery is staying charged :eyebrows: So I just have to figure out why my signals wont work. They dont work at all they use to when I first bought it and after they stopped just didnt try and figure it out, any ideas the fuses are good dont know if the flashers are good

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.