Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

CBR 900RR-V Build/ride Thread

16K views 163 replies 13 participants last post by  Liam7200 
#1 ·
Hi All

I'm new to this forum and thought it would be nice to put some of my blade picture into one place.

I owned the blade for around 4 years, purchased it off a friend who dropped it on his first ride out (Low sided)

Please see the picture below when I bought it and after I repaired it all for the first time

I rode it like that for around a year, then parked the bike up as I purchased an R1 as a early birthday present.

Say to safe the R1 wiped the floor with the blade in every category bar one the main one character, it just didn't have any and didn't really make sense unless going all out everywhere...

After around 2years of owning the R1 and several near misses :) I made the conscious decision to let the R1 go..

And like that full circle we went and back to the old faithful bumble-bee..

Over the next 6 month bumble-bee was dragged out of retirement and abused!

As you can imagine after being off the road for so long it was starting to show signs of wear and tear and little issues started to arise, it only added to bumble-bee's character though as the joy of riding the blade retuned.

At the ned of the seasons we found out we were expecting our first so Bumble-bee got put back into storage for the second time (heart breaking I know) I promised my wife if she couldn't ride either would I, I'm good like that haha.

Over the next 12 month while bumble slept I spent my time rebuilding a Suzuki RM125 that was in horrible shape for when my wife could ride again!

Full picture..

By this point I hadn't rode in over a year and starting to get on everyone nerves, it was at this point my wife ordered me to get Bumble-bee up and running again :) as my boy was now 4 months old.

Over the last two weeks I've been inspecting/stripping and getting the blade ready for the upcoming season.

First thing first was to strip and replace all the moving parts (headstock, wheel bearing etc) and service the carbs,

After replacing the headstock and removing the carbs, it was time to look at tires, sprocket and chain..

Coming from the R1 back to the blade meant the blade always felt like it was lacking some get up and go, to solve this I went for a 520 chain conversion with 15/45 gearing.

For tires I went for Metzeler M3's never used them before but they seemed to have good reviews for both track and road.

It was then time to change the front fork seals and bushes (better safe than sorry)

While I was waiting for the parts to arrive (still waiting) I decided the brakes needed some attention...

Do I go for 954 brakes?? while looking online I found some 6 pot Pretech callipers for a steal so I did a buy..

This now brings us up to the present day, I'm still on the luck for a period exhaust, Erion, Micron etc..

I'll update further once parts arrive....

See less See more
#5 ·
So I had to cut the fork rebuild short ? I ran out of copper washers and thought they might of come with the kit!

Auto part Pipe Suspension part Suspension Bicycle fork

I did however get a chance to speak to a couple of guys in the US regarding an exhaust system and manage to find someone with a spare Erion system, it needs some love but nothing I can’t managed.

Automotive exhaust Auto part Exhaust system Muffler Pipe

Waiting on a price and will decide from there I’ll have to take the rivets out and powered coat the shell and I’m sure I can polish the plaque and get a vynal image made up. But it all depends on price.

#18 ·
Yeah I've done a fair bit of importing in the past,

That is stunning!! loving the polish frame etc..

Did you need to just the jetting I already have 120 mains, changing the air filter from standard (mesh removed) to pipe cross.

Lets just hope the guy gets back to me with a fair price :)

#19 ·
So I finished the forks last night fresh seals, dust seals and bushings. I also had time to quickly sand and paint the tired fork legs, as I’ve gone for gold brake callipers I opted for satin black.

Yellow Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive lighting

I’ve also sourced some Harris Clips ons and I’m going to fill the front light section of the front cowl to go full race bike haha while retaining the stock graphics.

#21 ·
Looks nice that, I'm going to cut my front mud guard to mimic an early model, I think it looks cleaner than the later models plus its a bloody pain to get on and off how many bolts lol

That looks really nice I like the rear track unit, I'm going front race unit (well fibre glassing mine) It cracked when the bike was dropped and even though it was repaired it got slightly worse, so time to get ride of the lights :)

I should have more pics tonight, the forks are in the paint was still little tacky so ill wait till 4ish to assemble the wheel and brakes etc

#22 ·
Thank you, I also have a 99 track bike that has 95-97 race body on it. It had a chunk of engine case missing from a crash on the stator side. It obliterated the case cover and the case. I had to have it welded, and saved it. It has some cool bits on it.

Looking forward to your progress Liam (y)

#25 ·
So there is long list of goodies, I deleted all the OEM road legal wires etc from the harness, Scotts damper, Brembo Master Cylinder, 17" F3 front rim, 1100XX discs, RC51 calipers, Driven clip on's, Attack rear sets, gear position indicator, RC51SP1 6" rear rim, Penske triple clicker rear shock, Sharkskinz fiberglass body, Factory AirBox Plus jet kit, DID 520 ERV3 chain, nd a Micron/TBR hybrid exhaust lol The front end only has RaceTech 1.0 springs, fresh seals, and fresh fluid.

#28 ·
I have a couple of questions ?

Looking through my note book before bumble bee was put away I was having issues with the clutch sticking when warm, so I’m going to change it out, what are you guys running?

Also I’ve had 3 clutch cables on it all are way to long and run far outside of adjustment top and bottom.

Any cables you guys know of that are OEM fitment?

#31 ·
I don’t think the load on the mount will be an issue due to the direction of travel, most of the load will be on the forward facing and shorter mount this shouldn’t be any more than previous. The braking force may have increased but the rotational mass hasn't. That being said they are cable of locking the wheel up a lot quicker than stock but in that instance snapping a bracket would be the least of my issues as I’ll be flying through the air face first ?

#33 ·
. . . The braking force may have increased but the rotational mass hasn't. . .
It is more scientific than mere 'rotational mass'. :)

Agreed that the rotational mass is the same, BUT the 2 extra pots generate 50% added frictional forces that are not perpendicular to the mount. The stresses will be directed to the upper mount because the lower mount will serve as a 'hinge' being centralised to the vertical force. Of note, the majority of that force is below that lower mounting point.

Purely academic, you might think, but just remember me when you're flying through the air! :)(y)

#40 ·
So a little update, I’ve had a day off today so got round to bleeding the brakes and I must say they feel great! Flushed the rears while I was there too ?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Yellow

While I was there I took my little truck for a spin round the block to free up the brakes..

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Truck

I then got back to searching for an exhaust and guess what.... I found one, it’s all payed for and should be here’s soon only downside it isn’t an erion it’s a two brothers but stunning none the less.

Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Auto part Muffler Vehicle

Needs a quick clean but nothing some elbow grease won’t fix!

#42 ·
I then got back to searching for an exhaust and guess what.... I found one, it’s all payed for and should be here’s soon only downside it isn’t an erion it’s a two brothers but stunning none the less.
Same thing different label.

Two Brothers was founded by Craig and Kevin Erion. A dispute many years ago saw Kevin leave the business.

#46 ·
quick jetting question for you guys.

I've currently got 118 fitted to mine with one spacer on the needles I was thinking that 120 would be a good starting point for the two brothers system.

What are you guys currently running? I've ordered x 120 to 125 that should be enough shouldn't it?

Info

2 brothers system
stock filter currently but will be replaced with pipe cross,
Current jetting 118
Location UK

#48 ·
quick jetting question for you guys.

I've currently got 118 fitted to mine with one spacer on the needles I was thinking that 120 would be a good starting point for the two brothers system.

What are you guys currently running? I've ordered x 120 to 125 that should be enough shouldn't it?

Info

2 brothers system
stock filter currently but will be replaced with pipe cross,
Current jetting 118
Location UK
I did the Air Box Plus kit from Factory on my track bike, which is similar to doing the Viking Mod.

I have the 140's, adjustable needles and 42 (I think) slow jets

It starts, runs and drives brilliantly. Rips too lol

I would do the 120's with an air filter and the TBR exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.