Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So I wanted to do a little update of spec prior to me finishing the current mods.

So in 2012, the bike was Dyno'd:

Date: 24th August 2012
Milage: 34K Miles
Exhaust: Standard Headers with Stubby Can
Filter: Stock
Gearing: Stock chain/gearing
Jetting:Stock (115)

RWHP: 112.5
Torque: 63.4

Graph to follow(Below)

Now what Ive done or am doing:

Date: June 2020
Milage: 38K Miles ( Plus 4k Miles on last dyno)
Exhaust: Two Brothers Full System
Filter: Factory Pro
Gearing: 520 Conversion (-1/+2)
Jetting: 140 (TBC)

RWHP: TBC
Torque: TBC

Should we do some guessing, what do you think it will do? I'm going to try and get on the same dyne so BHP isn't really objective here just an increase on the original number.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I still can't fathom why some are so obsessed with dyno results!

I can understand that some want to 'measure' the improvement of mods that are made, but for me, it is purely academic and makes no difference to the joy of riding.

Don't be afraid to shoot me down, guys. I'm standing by in silence!;)

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,636 Posts
So I wanted to do a little update of spec prior to me finishing the current mods.

So in 2012, the bike was Dyno'd:

Date: 24th August 2012
Milage: 34K Miles
Exhaust: Standard Headers with Stubby Can
Filter: Stock
Gearing: Stock chain/gearing
Jetting:Stock (115)

RWHP: 112.5
Torque: 63.4

Graph to follow(Below)

Now what Ive done or am doing:

Date: June 2020
Milage: 38K Miles ( Plus 4k Miles on last dyno)
Exhaust: Two Brothers Full System
Filter: Factory Pro
Gearing: 520 Conversion (-1/+2)
Jetting: 140 (TBC)

RWHP: TBC
Torque: TBC

Should we do some guessing, what do you think it will do? I'm going to try and get on the same dyne so BHP isn't really objective here just an increase on the original number.
I will say 118 and 64

I can understand that some want to 'measure' the improvement of mods that are made, but for me, it is purely academic and makes no difference to the joy of riding.

I don’t think it’s a fascination Nigel, for a carbed bike that has been modified it’s a great tool to see your baseline and then the results of the changes. Sometimes a dynonsheet can tell you bad news.especially because the carb isn’t an exact science, you can be overly right on the top end, or even on the low end. The exhaust gas analyzer can help narrow the tune down to a specific area of the rev range ( I know you know all this, but just playing devils advocate;)).
Back in my early days of tuning, my 600F had 12 holes drilled in the air box lid, K&N filter, a timing advancer, and a full Yoshimura exhaust. I was SHOCKED to see the smoothest line making power right up to redline. I never would have expected it. I never touched it again. IIRC it make like 74hp (albeit all between 9k and 12k)
:ROFLMAO:.
My 1024cc 93 build was dumped a few times because with all the changes and custom air box mod, jetting “guesses”, ported head, etc Inwanted to get it as tight as I could. That one was a bit trickier as the OEM carbs really held it back. I wish I had the chance to put 39’s on it. Probably add another 10hp to it. Oh well.......I’m still looking for a clean set of 39 FCR’s :cool:

With the advent of FI on bikes, computer tuning and increase in OEM HP, I can agree with you and say that it’s maybe not as important but, as an owner I think it’s a neat bit of information to pass on to the next owner.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

I totally agree as we all no dyno's can be manipulated to spit out anything within reason.

I do however think "dyno" sessions themselves are absolutely needed if only to see that your going in the right direction. We all no the "bum" dyno means nothing in real the real world.

If I was to say go on a different dyno with a different operator the final number is obserlate cause of the fact above, the power curve and fuelling however isnt.

Either way having a big number is always good to show of to your mates :)

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Thanks for your lengthy response, Liam. You show that you are using it primarily as a tool, and I can well accept the merits of the dyno for that.

I guess, because of my presence on a few forums, I am more subjected to those using dyno reports as part of a dick swinging contest. I'm sure you know the type: 'I just changed my oil and it's now making 185 bhp at the rear wheel!'

Sure, the dyno will give great feedback on mods done, but ideally, as you know, a run should be made after each change, i.e. after air filter change, after exhaust change, jetting, etc etc. Unless this can be all done on the one day, the costs would be prohibitive to most.

Your point about the printout being an aid to a prospective new owner has merit. I can relate entirely, because I had my RR4 Dyno to correct a Power Commander glitch, and what did I offer the new owner? Yep, the printout!!;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Dick swinging 😂 those same people your referring to always bring up top speed too!! What your top speed, My old 600 SRAD did 180mph blah blah blah, sure it did pal!

Tbh 90% of the people who quote or use BHP number like that never ever have a print out!

That being said it always nice to have a strong number for your make/model. But if your chasing just a big number buy a new bike on the drip and win every time 😂

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
. . . But if your chasing just a big number buy a new bike on the drip and win every time 😂
Even that doesn't work now. You might have read I have a new 2020 RR-R SP ordered and paid for (pensioner's don't do 'drips':)) but can't collect it now because dealer is closed (non-essential service) and won't re-open until approx April 20th - pending further govt advice of course.

Sure, I'm not the only one affected. There will be others who are awaiting delivery of all brands, both new and s/h who cannot collect. I wouldn't even run the risk of making an eBay purchase (for instance) and then driving to collect the bike. Hasn't stopped me from trawling 'the bay' in the event a nice bargain comes up!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Not going to lie Nigel I would be going stir crazy if I had a new bike waiting and couldn’t go get it 😂

Although I would love a new bike there are plenty of other things on my wife’s list first I mean my list 😂 I was toying with the idea of buying a Harley not so long ago but the list came out again and with all this going on I’m glad I didn’t!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
So little update not much I can do on the blade at the min as I’m waiting on parts.

I quickly primed the fender so I could see we’re need a sanding and if it needed and filler! I fitted it while I was there so it’s out of the way no point painting it till everything else is on, it’s just my look I’ll scratch it.

FE39B23E-BF12-41E7-8505-1A67447806C3.jpeg

I did get a chance to split the air box today as I needed to measure up the inlet. I noticed while I was there that No1 cylinder has has a misfire. Last ride before it was parked up it did missfire slightly at 4-6k once, and struggled to start when warm sounded like it was flooded. The exhaust had calasped at the point (internal baffles in the headers had collapsed) so I though it could be that.

AE70DF80-1E64-4E23-9FD0-BF16241C50D1.jpeg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Little update the airbag is now stripped, the filters are ordered along with 140main.

I've also started blanking of the headlight, no going back now.

I've been toying with a couple of designs, pics to follow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
As you can see the fairing has been fiberglassed and filler applied, I’ve ran out of sanding paper so I’m stuck now 😂 also need more filler 😭
F4F2390F-8C3F-4F8C-AE74-300C315B24F2.jpeg

Here a render of how it should look once done. It looks alright with the online graphic however I want something more personal...
4EC50334-81D8-4646-9A05-C6FB97BA8DB7.jpeg

With that in mind I did my own sketch, using Marc’s 93 ant and turning it into a bee 😂 I think it looks good, I’ll be using the blades colours so it should flow nice, the same yellow for the bee, purple for the numbers and gold for the lucky. Then black/grey everywhere else

02D9DD1A-1AB3-4179-9C71-310B99F9B75B.jpeg

I hope all is well!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Little update trial fitted the filters, I still need to fill in some sections of the box, filters arnt as long as the factory pro ones but should work just fine (I hope) if not I’ll order some UNI filters from the US or buy the kit haha

689795E5-8CE4-48BF-86D6-59EB1BD8914F.jpeg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I’ve nearly finished the gasket for the airbox, I used the old air filter cutting away the center section then smoothed off with a Dremel!

98CB8922-50C8-4BFC-A166-A7F7651BE52F.jpeg

I’ll finish it off tomorrow, dinner was ready 😂

I trial fitted the gasket, all seems good so far... I do have concerns about the air filters though! I didn’t factor in the oil catch area, hopefully it doesn’t cause to many issues.

310C8585-0B56-4500-9998-F831AD326433.jpeg

So far its cost me £40 including jets etc. Even if I have to change the filters to UNI filters it will be well under half price.

If these filters don’t work I’ll try the UNI filter, see below:

62791184-81B8-4804-AD0D-B803BBCE209D.jpeg

It’s 4cm longer although the picture doesn’t show the angle!

·
7,636 Posts
Liam, I tired searching for a video if the Viking Mod, I thought here was a video here on the site about it, but alas, I couldn't find it. Do you know of one on YouTube specific to the 900RR?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Liam, I tired searching for a video if the Viking Mod, I thought here was a video here on the site about it, but alas, I couldn't find it. Do you know of one on YouTube specific to the 900RR?

I’ve never seen a video but there is a thread on here: the infamous Viking mod.

What is it you after? I’m pretty much copying your “factory pro” kit but on the cheap haha

·
7,636 Posts
I vauguely remember drilling another hole in the slides on mine back in 96ish. I can’t remember if it was something a tuner told me about or if I just did it for the heck of it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I vauguely remember drilling another hole in the slides on mine back in 96ish. I can’t remember if it was something a tuner told me about or if I just did it for the heck of it.
IF you look through the Viking Mod, its does say to drill the slides, theres 3 wholes drill the 2 smaller ones.

That being said, I don't know how different the viking mod is compared to the Factory Pro mod.

Viking MOD: The Infamous Viking Mod - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

My Plan

• Modify the airbox as pictured
  • Add 140 main jets
  • add 3 washers to each needle
  • Drill out the two smaller holes (slides)
  • Cut all four springs (2/3 rings)
  • Add Pod Filter
Cross my fingers and hope it works :)

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
This has me intrigued.

To save me reading reams of pages, is the objective merely better intake airflow? (which should equate to better performance I realise).

61 - 80 of 84 Posts