Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to fail massively and put my 929 down on a track day at brands hatch, :thumbd:

see below;

cold morning, cold tires, wasnt really paying to much attention on my warm up laps,

so from looking like this last summer....

to this......

shes all stripped down, with new fairings on the way, new foot pegs for my Harris Rear Sets, and a new alternator cover!! going to be doing a colour change as I cant afford OEM fairings so I have gone with Ebay replica fairings....

as you can see from the video, she flipped, has anyone got any advice on what I should possibly check in engine internals before starting her back up at the weekend?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I crash my dirt bike all the time. I stand her up, kick her over and I'm off!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
honestly, damage didn't look too bad. I'd replace fluids/filters and see if she starts. I don't think you'll have much problem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats a good point, my enduro bike takes a beating, just thought this may be a bit more delicate!

cheers for the replies

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
thats a good point, my enduro bike takes a beating, just thought this may be a bit more delicate!

cheers for the replies
it's a case-by-case kinda thing. When you replace the filters/fluids, and they all hold with no leaks, fire it and see. But pay very close attention to see if something is amiss, so you can kill it immediately before it does any real damage

·
Registered
231 Posts
it's a case-by-case kinda thing. When you replace the filters/fluids, and they all hold with no leaks, fire it and see. But pay very close attention to see if something is amiss, so you can kill it immediately before it does any real damage
Good advice right there!

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Once the tires hooked back up, she really flipped fast. Dirt and grass? Looks like your tailsection took a good smack too, does the reg/rec look ok?
I would check the fork tubes for true.
Should also measure your rotors for run-out. Spec is 0.30 (0.012)
Upper and lower triple clamp bolts holding your fork tubes are 20 lbf.ft
That's all I can think of.

Glad you were able to walk away.
Assuming that dude walkin in the vid was you. :D
Good luck on your rebuild.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Snowblade, you inspired me to start a new thread. Pics of your bike wreck.
Good work on your video and pictures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
replace the filters/fluids, and they all hold with no leaks,
just the one leak out of the hole in the alternator cover.... the cover took a good hit from the kerb

Dirt and grass? Looks like your tailsection took a good smack too, does the reg/rec look ok?
I would check the fork tubes for true.
Should also measure your rotors for run-out. Spec is 0.30 (0.012)

Glad you were able to walk away.
Assuming that dude walkin in the vid was you. :D
Good luck on your rebuild.
yea just dirt and grass, wet aswell! reg/recs alright,

fork tubes look ok, the seals have not blown which I though might have!

possible silly question, rotors? disks...??

yea thats my f*ck the bike walk!!

Snowblade, you inspired me to start a new thread. Pics of your bike wreck.
Good work on your video and pictures.
haha yea, Gopro Hero 3 takes all the credit for the video, only held on by their suction mount, I was impressed that didnt fall off!

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Yeah, I meant the brake discs.

If you dont' remove the tubes to check for true, at least loosen and retorque all the triplecrown bolts to 20lbf-ft. Do the upper ones, then the lower ones.

·
Registered
430 Posts
:( u/l man. Glad you're walking back to it.

I have a spare alternator cover if you want it? It's scratched up from a slide of my old bike from the previous owner, supposedly at low speed on his gravel driveway. (before it was totalled)

It wouldn't do for someone wanting a bike to look its best but it's good enough for a track bike just very scratched without being broken.

Importantly, you can have it for nothing providing you pay the postage?

·
Registered
321 Posts
at least your okay, it looked like your tires just gave up on that one. Saw that you skipped a portion of the warm up's, now you know for next time. Fix it up and get back out there bro

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That wasn't too bad overall. Glad you walked away from it! We wear the gear for a reason. :thumb:
I wish I would've had my camera going when I bit it at the track. Mine stayed on the right side after I hit the gravel. Pea gravel gets into everything!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:( u/l man. Glad you're walking back to it.

I have a spare alternator cover if you want it? It's scratched up from a slide of my old bike from the previous owner, supposedly at low speed on his gravel driveway. (before it was totalled)

It wouldn't do for someone wanting a bike to look its best but it's good enough for a track bike just very scratched without being broken.

Importantly, you can have it for nothing providing you pay the postage?
Walked back and straight passed....

Thanks for the offer its my road bike also! So a new cover from Honda is on its way!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
at least your okay, it looked like your tires just gave up on that one. Saw that you skipped a portion of the warm up's, now you know for next time. Fix it up and get back out there bro
Yea it just dropped, came as a bit of a surprise!! Will teach me to be a bit more careful on the first few laps when it's cold!!

That wasn't too bad overall. Glad you walked away from it! We wear the gear for a reason. :thumb:
I wish I would've had my camera going when I bit it at the track. Mine stayed on the right side after I hit the gravel. Pea gravel gets into everything!
I'm not sure what caught it, to make it flip! but I'm lucky it stayed on the same side!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thought I would add an update,

still not back on the road, but back together for now!

chinese ebay fairing....little bit of a squeeze in places but it does fit, I have a nice rattle coming in at around 5k and every time I close the throttle, need to get some foam in between parts that dont fit perfectly!!

really unsure of the colour though when I dropped it down for its MOT, it got a few nice comments, I just really like the standard colours! which you cant get on ebay!

thinking about a carbon front hugger to split the white up, will go nicely with the rear hugger and exhaust and certainly going to be having the tank painted white,

decided to go with the standard clear screen, prefer the look to the tinted screens and I can now actually see through the damn thing! need to tidy up the removed Honda sticker from the front though!

not the best pictures, but will do for now,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the wheels are also going in for a strip down and re paint, most probably in black, unless any good suggestions on a brighter colour

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
looking good, like the new fairings nice clean look. Gold wheel would look good with the white fairing but anything other than black is a pig to keep clean unless you like cleaning wheels... Perhaps some white rim tape would look good on black?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea, I never though of gold I was thinking more orange but could not get it to work with the rest of the bike,

gold could be a good one if I could get it to match the brakes and other parts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts