Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as of right now I have an older PC III (Serial) and I am at a disposition of what map I should use or start with from the PC base maps recommend.

Mod's: K&N filter, 2 Brothers Slip-on, intake flapper mod, O2 Sensor eliminator, and 954 cam's, and PC III.

The closest map I could find I think would be:

2000-2001 Honda CBR929
(Erion full race exhaust, Erion racing cams, Stock or K&N air filter) or
(Stock air filter ,Two Brothers slip on)

What are the specs on the Erion Cam's?

I am on a budget (college student) so I don't want to pay for a custom map. Unless someone knows where to get a good deal in Ca.
Any advice for starting points or base maps as well as tuning methods?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
So as of right now I have an older PC III (Serial) and I am at a disposition of what map I should use or start with from the PC base maps recommend.

Mod's: K&N filter, 2 Brothers Slip-on, intake flapper mod, O2 Sensor eliminator, and 954 cam's, and PC III.

The closest map I could find I think would be:

2000-2001 Honda CBR929
(Erion full race exhaust, Erion racing cams, Stock or K&N air filter) or
(Stock air filter ,Two Brothers slip on)

What are the specs on the Erion Cam's?

I am on a budget (college student) so I don't want to pay for a custom map. Unless someone knows where to get a good deal in Ca.
Any advice for starting points or base maps as well as tuning methods?

Thanks.

Just try a bunch of maps until you find one you're most comfortable with.
You probably don't want a map made for aftermarket cams if you're running stock cams though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just try a bunch of maps until you find one you're most comfortable with.
You probably don't want a map made for aftermarket cams if you're running stock cams though.
Yeah, I agree, thanks. I know the 954 cam's have slightly larger lift on intake and duration all around I guess a lot of tweaking of a base map here we come lol.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Yeah, I agree, thanks. I know the 954 cam's have slightly larger lift on intake and duration all around I guess a lot of tweaking of a base map here we come lol.

The difference between good 929 cams and poor 954 cams is essentially nothing. I'd be very surprised if the difference were noticeable or measureable without dyno tuning. I doubt you'd need to alter the mapping for the cams.
But the difference between a good race exhaust system and a simple muffler can be quite significant. Try some full-system maps certainly but I would expect muffler maps would work better.

I notice you asked about tuning earlier. Just trial and error like we do with carbs. Make some adjustments, ride it, determine if it feels better or worse, adjust to suit. You can also read the spark plugs or use an exhaust gas monitoring device like the Wideband Commander from DynoJet.
Make sure all the maintenance is up to date first though as it's a bit of a waste to tune to an engine that's in a less than optimum state.
I would recommend replacing the K&N with an OEM filter also if you want maximum engine potential.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The difference between good 929 cams and poor 954 cams is essentially nothing. I'd be very surprised if the difference were noticeable or measureable without dyno tuning. I doubt you'd need to alter the mapping for the cams.
But the difference between a good race exhaust system and a simple muffler can be quite significant. Try some full-system maps certainly but I would expect muffler maps would work better.

I notice you asked about tuning earlier. Just trial and error like we do with carbs. Make some adjustments, ride it, determine if it feels better or worse, adjust to suit. You can also read the spark plugs or use an exhaust gas monitoring device like the Wideband Commander from DynoJet.
Make sure all the maintenance is up to date first though as it's a bit of a waste to tune to an engine that's in a less than optimum state.
I would recommend replacing the K&N with an OEM filter also if you want maximum engine potential.
Thank you for the advice :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.