Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I just bought a new battery a month ago. Every time I finish riding or at the end of the day I need to connect my battery to a charger. If I dont and jusy ride, after a couple of hrs or eveb minutes my bike would start loosing charge and lights will start flicker on and off , if I give it throttle bike is okay for couple minutes then it starts again. I want to know if it's the regular rectifier or something else please help mechanic charges 200 for just what it is . Thank you

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Okay I just bought a new battery a month ago. Every time I finish riding or at the end of the day I need to connect my battery to a charger. If I dont and jusy ride, after a couple of hrs or eveb minutes my bike would start loosing charge and lights will start flicker on and off , if I give it throttle bike is okay for couple minutes then it starts again. I want to know if it's the regular rectifier or something else please help mechanic charges 200 for just what it is . Thank you

You need to put a multimeter across the battery terminals to determine if it's charging at all - doesn't sound like it is.
And check resistance and AC voltage at the stator as per the manual.
If it checks out then you may have an open circuit somewhere.
These basic checks should have been done before you replaced the battery

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea because am good like couple of runs trough the day and later on the day afternoon hours I start noticing bike lossing some electric power and lights start flicker then when that happens I usually go straight home because bike would shut off then I would try to turn on and nothing

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Yea because am good like couple of runs trough the day and later on the day afternoon hours I start noticing bike lossing some electric power and lights start flicker then when that happens I usually go straight home because bike would shut off then I would try to turn on and nothing

Because the injection draws so much power the battery is probably only good for 30-40 minutes, less if you have headlights on and use the starter motor.
You need to determine if the stator or regulator have failed or if you've simply got a broken wire or corroded connector.
Has the bike been down on the left side recently?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea thats if 30 min max then starts loosing power , it was dropped by previous owner on left side but we are talking almost a year ago and it was fine back then I recently installed HID lights on bike I notice two days ago that if I drive with lights off it last little longer , u think is alternator or rectifier ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would do the basics checks some guy said to turn bike on and disconnect the negative side of battery and if bike dies that means stator for alternator is bad right correct me if am wrong

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I would do the basics checks some guy said to turn bike on and disconnect the negative side of battery and if bike dies that means stator for alternator is bad right correct me if am wrong

Nope, the engine will die if you disconnect the battery regardless of whether the charging system works.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Yea thats if 30 min max then starts loosing power , it was dropped by previous owner on left side but we are talking almost a year ago and it was fine back then I recently installed HID lights on bike I notice two days ago that if I drive with lights off it last little longer , u think is alternator or rectifier ?

My money would be on a failed stator but you need to do the tests before spending money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts