Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've had this issue for some time where sometimes the bike will not start for a few seconds. The pump primes, no messages and as soon as i press the start button the neutral led would dim but the engine would not turn. No sound from the relays, nothing.

If i press it a few times or just hold it down it would start and it never takes more than 10-15 seconds.

I need to look at it though because last night after riding for about 40 minutes at 32c, i stopped at a train crossing and switched off the engine, when I wanted to start it again it would not start and i had to wait a few minutes.

It is really weird, as sometimes it starts without hesitating and sometimes it doesnt and it takes 5-10 seconds to turn.

I tried searching for this but i am not even sure how to describe the issue.

Any help is welcome!

Thanks
Jeca

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
What happens if you boost it using a car battery?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What happens if you boost it using a car battery?
It never gets to the point where i had to do that since it usually starts within a minute.

The battery is old though which i havent changed since i had the alternator rebuilt a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
That's why I'm asking if it boosts ok. My suspicion is the battery is toast. Next time you have a problem, don't keep trying to start, give it a boost. If it kicks right away, that's the problem.

It wouldn't hurt to test the voltage with the engine at idle and around 4000 rpm, just to be sure the charging system is still ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I'm asking if it boosts ok. My suspicion is the battery is toast. Next time you have a problem, don't keep trying to start, give it a boost. If it kicks right away, that's the problem.

It wouldn't hurt to test the voltage with the engine at idle and around 4000 rpm, just to be sure the charging system is still ok.
Thanks, ill give that a go later on.

When i had the problem with the charging system (alternator?), which i had rewound, the battery thats in the bike now went completely flat on more than one occasion. That could well be it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts