Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have a 2001 CBR 929 and its been sitting for about a year and a half with no fuel stabilizer. The fuel is still almost at the same level as when I left it and still clear and battery was out and is fully charged. I was wondering if it would be ok to try and start

·
Registered
355 Posts
How does the gas smell? My guess it smells different than when you put it in. If you can, get out as much as possible and fill with new. Injectors might be ok they're not as susceptible to sitting as carbs

·
Registered
83 Posts
Check the fuel tank inside for rust, also the gas smell like 00blade told ya. And no less important the fuel pressure regulator. The diaphragm inside it, tends to cause problems when the engine is stopped for long time. I mean, the fuel won't come back to the tank and going to foul your spark plugs and you fuel economy most probably going to be bad.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey everyone I have a 2001 CBR 929 and its been sitting for about a year and a half with no fuel stabilizer. The fuel is still almost at the same level as when I left it and still clear and battery was out and is fully charged. I was wondering if it would be ok to try and start

I would drain the tank and the fuel rail and use fresh fuel at least.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just smell the gas, that is what I always do. If it smells dull then I would try and suck out as much as you can. If it still smells like gas and stings the nostrils (Ron Burgundy) then give it a go. Take it to your gas station and fill it with 93.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Pour in some water and hope for the best :thumb: No man, this is an easy one. Drain it, and make sure you don't have anything funny going on in the gass tank. Condensation is a horrible, horrrible thing on our machines. I also suggest a coolant system flush and an oil change along with it. It'll give you peace of mind and give you a chance to search for any other funny stuff.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I agree with eu4ic.

When any bike has been stood for 1year+ you should treat it as a newly aquired bike - drain and replace all fluids - oil / fuel / coolant (breaks if you are able)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Like the others said try and get as much out as you can and then refill with new stuff. I bought my 929 in Brooks just South of you and did it and it is still going after 6 years when I did that and sat for about the same timeframe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts