Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well I would stoop revving it, Identify the source of the noise with a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver held up to your ear and the pointy end on the engine cases so you can pinpoint the area of the noise. It could be something related to the valve gear, cam chain section of the engine but you wont know for sure until you locate the area and find out what's there under the engine cases.
Make sure you have good clean oil in the engine before you do anything else.
The cam drive is on the right side of the engine as you might know so its most likely something associated with that aspect of the motor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I would stoop revving it, Identify the source of the noise with a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver held up to your ear and the pointy end on the engine cases so you can pinpoint the area of the noise. It could be something related to the valve gear, cam chain section of the engine but you wont know for sure until you locate the area and find out what's there under the engine cases.
Make sure you have good clean oil in the engine before you do anything else.
The cam drive is on the right side of the engine as you might know so its most likely something associated with that aspect of the motor.
I assembled engine, of course that the oil is new and clean, engine got sleeves dropped in, cct looks good, only half turn counter clockwise can turn, so chain must be tight, clutch basket is a bit noisy at idle, but doubt that she is the problem..maybe
Can piston slap be heard on all rpms or some specific?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I assembled engine, of course that the oil is new and clean, engine got sleeves dropped in, cct looks good, only half turn counter clockwise can turn, so chain must be tight, clutch basket is a bit noisy at idle, but doubt that she is the problem..maybe
Can piston slap be heard on all rpms or some specific?
It sounds like follower noise on my end, like the noise that's created when the valves need adjusting because they are too loose, but I'm thousands of miles away listening to a video.
I would break out that screwdriver and listen in real close. Here a video to help..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not sure, hard to say without hearing the noise with the engine running.
If you move the engine does the slop in the chain change?
Have you looked at the tensioner?
How many miles on the engine? Obviously, it's not new.
Perhaps somebody that has taken one apart can comment?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure, hard to say without hearing the noise with the engine running.
If you move the engine does the slop in the chain change?
Have you looked at the tensioner?
How many miles on the engine? Obviously, it's not new.
Perhaps somebody that has taken one apart can comment?
Nope, slope is the same, i will try manual cct, to see is there any difference
68 000km on the clock, tensioner extract like supposed to do, maybe the spring is weak?

·
Registered
84 Posts
That’s not a huge amount of Kim’s, so the tensioner might be good as well as the guides.
Perhaps another rider with a 954 might opine. I have a 929 with 58k miles and have no noise.
Do you have a video of the actual noise or did you diagnose noises before taking everything apart?
Rude

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s not a huge amount of Kim’s, so the tensioner might be good as well as the guides.
Perhaps another rider with a 954 might opine. I have a 929 with 58k miles and have no noise.
Do you have a video of the actual noise or did you diagnose noises before taking everything apart?
Rude
I don't have another video, just this one on the top, noise is coming from right side of the engine, so chain or valves, clutch is checked
Noise is similar like on this video
just way louder

·
Registered
84 Posts
I suppose you checked valve clearances before beggining this job?
If the clearances are ok, wighin spectjen it only leaves cam chain and in rare instances oil flow to the top end. You will want to check the chain guides as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suppose you checked valve clearances before beggining this job?
If the clearances are ok, wighin spectjen it only leaves cam chain and in rare instances oil flow to the top end. You will want to check the chain guides as well.
I did not 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ didn't have guages for valves, can valves make that kind of noise?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
🍻🍻🍻
Problem solved finally
Chain was stretched,cct was extended at max, i replaced it temporarily with manual cct, until i replace cam chain

1 - 14 of 14 Posts