Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i just paid off some guys loan of $3511.31, so i am look at pipes and hell i real dont like how stinking big the stock pipe is! And i was looking on youtube an d i have seen a few CBR 954's with the exhaust that just comes out where the foot peg and brake is at. that is it!! it has a real low low sounds and when u rev it .. it roars!! So i have a completely stock bike (except a stabilizer witch i can not be leave i road with out before!) How do i do it with as little money as possible and do i need to worry about it having enough back pressure? i really dont understand what that means but i have been doing a little bit of reading can peopel where saying something about that... Any help or even a link to a post where this is the topic, even better a web site on how to do this i would be set!

Again any help would be great! thanks....
:smilebig:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
OK so i just paid off some guys loan of $3511.31, so i am look at pipes and hell i real dont like how stinking big the stock pipe is! And i was looking on youtube an d i have seen a few CBR 954's with the exhaust that just comes out where the foot peg and brake is at. that is it!! it has a real low low sounds and when u rev it .. it roars!! So i have a completely stock bike (except a stabilizer witch i can not be leave i road with out before!) How do i do it with as little money as possible and do i need to worry about it having enough back pressure? i really dont understand what that means but i have been doing a little bit of reading can peopel where saying something about that... Any help or even a link to a post where this is the topic, even better a web site on how to do this i would be set!

Again any help would be great! thanks....
:smilebig:
Pipe length and back pressure is what gives strong midrange - from 4000-8000rpm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i dont want a short pipe? i have seen the 600 CBR's with short pipes, and 1000's with them? does that mean that they are not strong? because the pipe is short?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got a gianelli shorty on my 929, sounds great! I'm looking to buy a stock 954 can though for long trips, incase you want to sell yours :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
So i dont want a short pipe? i have seen the 600 CBR's with short pipes, and 1000's with them? does that mean that they are not strong? because the pipe is short?
Since these bikes have the exhaust exit under the tail, the length of the actual exhaust piping gives enough back pressure to allow for the shorty cans under the tail.
With the 929/954, the pipes are direct and need the extra pressure from the lengthy muffler.

What you can do it this, take your stock muffler and cut it down 6-8inches.

You'll lose pressure but gain style points :D

To get the best of both worlds, make a simple exhaust baffle plate and weld it to the inside of the muffler cap.

I just did this with an R6 i'm building and it works quite well for $0!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Since these bikes have the exhaust exit under the tail, the length of the actual exhaust piping gives enough back pressure to allow for the shorty cans under the tail.
With the 929/954, the pipes are direct and need the extra pressure from the lengthy muffler.

What you can do it this, take your stock muffler and cut it down 6-8inches.

You'll lose pressure but gain style points :D

To get the best of both worlds, make a simple exhaust baffle plate and weld it to the inside of the muffler cap.

I just did this with an R6 i'm building and it works quite well for $0!
I think you're confusing the word pipe with muffler.
He said in his first post he wants an exit just behind his peg.
I can't see what the point of shortening an underseat muffler is. Muffler length is more about noise, overall pipe length is what alters the powerband.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
For a side exhaust exit by the footpeg, it'd be easiest to cut the pipe, correct, but it is possible to do something with a cut muffler as a side exit (ex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IEZvEXGlXc)

Referring to the 'shorty cans' under the tail in my previous post, I mean they are short in respect to the 929/954 cans without being altered.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is the one i want to mimic, so would i just cut the pipe (not the can) and have it right there?? or would there not be enough back pressure and would i get back firing or what? and if u read on the description of the the video it says:

"Have you ever heard a lower, more-rumbly exhaust? This is a "proof" video of my custom, home-made exhaust for my 954. It is too loud for the camera, but you get the idea!

I made it from a Two Brother's muffler. I cut it down to 14", put a custom can and 3" tip on it, and this was the result. ENJOY!!"

Did he have a custom 4 to 1 thing or how would u do something like this? Or again can i just cut it there and be good? (i know i am full of questions but hell is the bike will should like what he has i am sold just cut and golden!)

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
That is the one i want to mimic, so would i just cut the pipe (not the can) and have it right there?? or would there not be enough back pressure and would i get back firing or what? and if u read on the description of the the video it says:

"Have you ever heard a lower, more-rumbly exhaust? This is a "proof" video of my custom, home-made exhaust for my 954. It is too loud for the camera, but you get the idea!

I made it from a Two Brother's muffler. I cut it down to 14", put a custom can and 3" tip on it, and this was the result. ENJOY!!"

Did he have a custom 4 to 1 thing or how would u do something like this? Or again can i just cut it there and be good? (i know i am full of questions but hell is the bike will should like what he has i am sold just cut and golden!)
I couldn't make any sense of his description either unless he's put a muffler under the engine somehow.
You would have to put some sort of baffle into the pipe after cutting it off I would think. I would expect a loss of midrange for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if i just cut it i would have less power? I do not fully understand then, if i cut it would i not lessen the flow of the exhaust and thus gain power? or is that not right ??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could i strait pipe it and be good or would that not work ??? (i am going out side right now and removing my muffler and going to see what it would sound like lol ... be back in like 20 mins

·
Registered
155 Posts
It'll be way too loud to run without a muffler at all, waayy too loud. And the fueling will be completely stuffed.

I would not mind, do u need the full exhaust system or what?? ( i live in utah, where do u live?)
No I'd just need the muffler piece, and I'm in Australia.

If you're worried about performance loss, here is the dynochart for my 929 so you can compare it with others (shorty gianelli, bmc air filter, flapper mod, pc3 with custom map);

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
The bike wont run very well with the muffler off. There is a possibility of damaging your engine if you constantly run it this way. I certainly wouldn't.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is so damn loud!! and everyone was looking ... but i did notice that i lost about 12 miles off of my High end ... in first i could only get to 72 - 73 mph and the power fluxes ... some times there is tons!! and then some times there is not as much ... humm but at lower RPMs it has a lot more ummpphh

Someone was saying that i will have to rip out my HTEV ?? what is that ???

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
So if i just cut it i would have less power? I do not fully understand then, if i cut it would i not lessen the flow of the exhaust and thus gain power? or is that not right ??
If you cut it, you speed up the flow of gas through the engine so you gain power at the topend when the cams are spinning the fastest but you lose power in the midrange when the valves aren't opening fast enough to fill the cylinders efficiently.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts