Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have in my CBR954 very scratchy tank, and I would like to re-paint it or anyway polish it and I need instructions how to remove tank (without braking anything :smilebig: )

Actually I haven't check anything on it yet, but in owners manual, there is mentioned when you move tank on "service" position (lifted up) don't remove it ???

So good advise is needed, thanks :huh:

-C9B5R4-

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm getting ready to replace mine too. Best advice is get hold of the service manual which shows the whole process with pictures.

Any additional insight would be appreciated though...

If I get it done anytime soon I'll post my experiences.

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
DRAIN/SIPHON gas out of tank.

Take seat off.

Take the two bolts off the front of the tank.

Lift the tank up and disconnect connections on the bottom.

Lay the tank back down and under the seat there are 4 bolts holding it down to the subframe, take those out and you're done.

·
Registered
728 Posts
SilverBullet said:
DRAIN/SIPHON gas out of tank.

Take seat off.

Take the two bolts off the front of the tank.

Lift the tank up and disconnect connections on the bottom.

Lay the tank back down and under the seat there are 4 bolts holding it down to the subframe, take those out and you're done.
Take the body panels off also and don't forget the rear through bolt. Loosen it before lifting up the tank.

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
ULEWZ said:
Take the body panels off also and don't forget the rear through bolt. Loosen it before lifting up the tank.

Oh yeah, the black ones with a screw up front and one to the tank.

Maybe my through bolt is already loose, but I've never had to loosen anything any bolts.....which one are you reffering too, the one that the bracket swivels on a little bit??

·
Registered
231 Posts
they dont have a petcock to turn the fuel off with? My r6 had one, just reach under turn it off and disconnect the fuel line.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The shop manual mentions something about disconnectin the hoses from the correct locations...didn't look like it mattered to me but followed the structions in the manual anyway.

I recall some poor soul trying to remove the bolt on the mounthing bracket on the rear of the tank...instead of the 4 bolts on the subframe! :rotfl:

replae the fuel filter while you got all apart!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
if you have the service manual read it. there is step by step what to do. take a litle of your time a easily start reading the manual .. :thumb: .it´s very is if you follow the manual

·
Registered
104 Posts
It comes off easy but a bit messy if you don't siphon all of the gas out :thumbd: Removeing the rear hindge bolt is a Bit of work better to undo the ** 4 ** rear bolt's and the brackett.I have found it a bit easier if you have a freind hold the tank sideways and to one side of the bike while you undo the screw's in the bottom of the tank to remove the hoses/fuel pump/filter. After you remove the screw's from the underside of the tank carefully draw the the whole pump unit out in one peice without detaching the hoses. ** holding the tank on it's side help's in retaining any gas left over in the tank instead of spilling it all over :thumb:
Hope this help's.

·
Registered
738 Posts
go to Ron Ayers.com use there parts fiche to get an exploded view of what to expect B4 you take it off. I bought the service manual from Helminc.com.Same one that dealership uses. Haven't done anything that I needed it for But have looked throughit.Worth every :twocents: when I do need it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts