Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Honda Japan's site:

Because the calorific value of the stay tar coil of the generator is large, when low-speed travelling is repeated, the coil becomes high temperature, the insulating material carbonizes and there are some where part shorts, becomes charge and insufficient. Because of that, the battery discharging, when the engine becomes out of order, it is worst, the engine stopping, there is a possibility of becoming not be able to restart.

Translated version of http://www.honda.co.jp/recall/campaign/070419.html

·
Banned
4,696 Posts
i have heard about the problems, but i have yet to hear of a recall

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just 05s or 06s too?
Entire range of production period
2004 April 7th ~ 2006 January 16th

Interesting they claim only 4,101 bikes are affected, so this may only be for Japan and bikes sold in America may be on their own.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How in the world did you find that?
Blowing one stator after another does something to a person. Especially if that's the transportation to work and back.

I'm not giving up until a Honda engineer comes over to my house and corrects the problem on my bike in my garage, which happens to be on the stand right now with the stator cover off.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Blowing one stator after another does something to a person. Especially if that's the transportation to work and back.

I'm not giving up until a Honda engineer comes over to my house and corrects the problem on my bike in my garage, which happens to be on the stand right now with the stator cover off.

are you replacing them with oem stators ,or aftermarket ? This seems to be a problem with ALOT of CBR's, not just the 1000's.The 929's and the 954's also have this problem.Don't go with the oem replacement , Electrosport makes great aftermarket stators that are much higher quality than stock honda units.And Electrosport gives you a 1 year no hassle replacement warranty.....Mine went on my 929,and the Electrosport i installed is working great since ! :thumb:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I heard the first Electrosport stators were also burning up quick. The problem described in the recall was they made too much power in too small space, so they overheated. The recall is to issue a weaker flywheel. I believe the Electrosport stators have larger surface area for the power produced, so they don't get so hot.

The copper wire on my stators got so hot, the copper turned different colors. Guess what that did to the oil? This stator design is much worse than most people think.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I heard the first Electrosport stators were also burning up quick. The problem described in the recall was they made too much power in too small space, so they overheated. The recall is to issue a weaker flywheel. I believe the Electrosport stators have larger surface area for the power produced, so they don't get so hot.

The copper wire on my stators got so hot, the copper turned different colors. Guess what that did to the oil? This stator design is much worse than most people think.

Got about 3k miles on my Electrosport stator with no problems so far (knock on wood),and i tend to hammer my bike pretty good.Like i said,they have a 1 year no hassle warranty

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
If it's just an overheating problem breaking down the "tar" which may not even be tar.. they may be speaking of the laquer coating that seals the coil/wires from contacting oil inside the engine. If that is the case I would do a google search of an 'electrical motor coil winding coating' that can withstand high temps and oil ... coat your stator with that before it goes kaput. It seems like there should be an epoxy on the market that withstands oil and high heat. Maybe Hexcell makes an epoxy like this since they deal alot with aircraft epoxies.

I bet Honda won't recall this issue in the USA. Voluntary recalls are rare. And i don't see the US making a recall mandatory.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's just an overheating problem breaking down the "tar" which may not even be tar.. they may be speaking of the laquer coating that seals the coil/wires from contacting oil inside the engine. If that is the case I would do a google search of an 'electrical motor coil winding coating' that can withstand high temps and oil ... coat your stator with that before it goes kaput. It seems like there should be an epoxy on the market that withstands oil and high heat. Maybe Hexcell makes an epoxy like this since they deal alot with aircraft epoxies.

I bet Honda won't recall this issue in the USA. Voluntary recalls are rare. And i don't see the US making a recall mandatory.
I figgered out what "stay tar" meant: apparently the translation couldn't quite connect with "stator."

About the question of the stator I rewound: it worked great until the warmer days hit. It MELTED the regulator/rectifier. That thing put out over 50 amps. Melted itself too. So I now have a cheap Suzuki r/r I got from salvage and rewinding with stock wire size. I'm relaminating the iron laminates to reduce eddy currents and make it run cooler. It doesn't look like Honda's contractor laminated them at all. I couldn't see it.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
By "relaminating" your speaking of the metal part of the stator that the copper wire gets wound around? There is actually an adhesive between those thin metal plates?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts