Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

CBR1000RR4/5 ECM/ECU UK vs US

11K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Joe Barton 
#1 ·
I am UK based and have recently purchased a race car fitted with a UK CBR1000rr4/5 engine. The ECU is from a US (non HISS) model, the 38770-MEL-672. The Honda quoted power is higher for the UK bike at 124kW(170 hp)/11250rpm.

So my question is: What differences are there between the two ECU's? Are there different spark and fuelling maps? My problem is that the rules of the race series restrict me to fuelling only changes i.e. not spark timing, so I need to select the better base spark map for 98 RON fuel, if there is a difference for UK fuel / US emissions etc.

Can anyone help please??

#2 ·
I'm not sure if the US ECU is restricted but I doubt it as I have seen comparible dyno output charts to UK runs.

The most likelyreason the US ECU was used was to bypass the HISS anti-theft system to save a few pound. If any 1 part of 3 (ECU / Igntition Reader / Chipped Key) is not part of a matching set the the UK HISS bike will not run period & you will have to replace the lot as a matchin set for mega £££.

The US system has no such security & any US ECU will run any bike worlwide.

So to conclude even if there is a marginal gain to be had from a UK ECU its gonna cost you a bomb to replace the matching HISS stuff unles you can find the original ECU for your engine.

Sorry!

#3 ·
hi kenny u seem to know alot about this an i just wondering if u can help me.ive just got a 2004 fireblade 1000cc an ive got no keys(bought from a salvage yard)in im just wondering if a us ecu will bypass the hiss system an i would just be able to get my local key man to cut me a key an it would start??aloso would i need the us loom???thanx carl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.