Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am UK based and have recently purchased a race car fitted with a UK CBR1000rr4/5 engine. The ECU is from a US (non HISS) model, the 38770-MEL-672. The Honda quoted power is higher for the UK bike at 124kW(170 hp)/11250rpm.

So my question is: What differences are there between the two ECU's? Are there different spark and fuelling maps? My problem is that the rules of the race series restrict me to fuelling only changes i.e. not spark timing, so I need to select the better base spark map for 98 RON fuel, if there is a difference for UK fuel / US emissions etc.

Can anyone help please??

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm not sure if the US ECU is restricted but I doubt it as I have seen comparible dyno output charts to UK runs.

The most likelyreason the US ECU was used was to bypass the HISS anti-theft system to save a few pound. If any 1 part of 3 (ECU / Igntition Reader / Chipped Key) is not part of a matching set the the UK HISS bike will not run period & you will have to replace the lot as a matchin set for mega £££.

The US system has no such security & any US ECU will run any bike worlwide.

So to conclude even if there is a marginal gain to be had from a UK ECU its gonna cost you a bomb to replace the matching HISS stuff unles you can find the original ECU for your engine.

Sorry!

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi kenny u seem to know alot about this an i just wondering if u can help me.ive just got a 2004 fireblade 1000cc an ive got no keys(bought from a salvage yard)in im just wondering if a us ecu will bypass the hiss system an i would just be able to get my local key man to cut me a key an it would start??aloso would i need the us loom???thanx carl

·
Registered
47 Posts
hi kenny u seem to know alot about this an i just wondering if u can help me.ive just got a 2004 fireblade 1000cc an ive got no keys(bought from a salvage yard)in im just wondering if a us ecu will bypass the hiss system an i would just be able to get my local key man to cut me a key an it would start??aloso would i need the us loom???thanx carl
hi mate, i had the naff f1 light come on, when my servo motor packed up.. so when i replaced that it had killed my ecu..

i took my bike over to these nice people near norwich

Track Electronics

and they fitted a modified, ecu.. which dose a way with the hiss.

hope that helps.. :thumb:

·
Registered
28 Posts
ive seen them an there secondhand.so i was wondering if they are just buying us ecus an selling them??us part no is:38770-MEL-672,do you know what the one they gave you is....thanx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used the 672 to eliminate the loom. Drop me a pm and I'll email the us vs uk wiring diagrams for the 04 and you can compare the ecu pin count. It's relatively easy to transfer pins over etc if there are any differences espec as you'll have some spare after deleting hiss

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will have to be the 675 i think the plugs are different on the 06 07 loom
Guess you mean the 672? There is no 675:-
671 - 672 are us non hiss pcm's.

Check the wiring diagrams for differences to uk model (which are v small) and drop the ecu in. Works fine. V pleased with the Rolling road numbers from the 672 ecu.

For ref:- 06/07 loom does have different connectors. Ecu's are much smaller + sit in the top of the plenum.
Part numbers for US pcm's are 38770-MEL-A21 and A22. The Cal spec ECU's are 38770-MEL-L21 and L22. I've cut and shut the looms on my car now and all worked first time out of the box

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm not sure if the US ECU is restricted but I doubt it as I have seen comparible dyno output charts to UK runs.

The most likelyreason the US ECU was used was to bypass the HISS anti-theft system to save a few pound. If any 1 part of 3 (ECU / Igntition Reader / Chipped Key) is not part of a matching set the the UK HISS bike will not run period & you will have to replace the lot as a matchin set for mega £££.

The US system has no such security & any US ECU will run any bike worlwide.

So to conclude even if there is a marginal gain to be had from a UK ECU its gonna cost you a bomb to replace the matching HISS stuff unles you can find the original ECU for your engine.

Sorry!
Hi Kenny

I saw it that you have list 3 parts (ECU / Igntition Reader / Chipped Key) to matching the UK model HISS bike...

and what is Igntition Reader ? could you help me to know about it? and what is sample like?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi Kenny

I saw it that you have list 3 parts (ECU / Igntition Reader / Chipped Key) to matching the UK model HISS bike...

and what is Igntition Reader ? could you help me to know about it? and what is sample like?

He's referring to the sensor collar around the ignition switch.
This piece is not part of the coded system and does not need to be swapped over.
Don't know what you mean by sample.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts