Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days ago I was out riding and my bike died while sitting at a light. All my lights were dim and I couldn't start the engine. After getting it back home and reading multiple forum posts and troubleshooting guides I have found that my Reg/Rec has been fried (Images Below). As a result of this, the connector has been melted around Yellow Pin 1 & 2. I have found a replacement Reg/Rec but I am unsure on what to do about the connector. Is there a replacement option or will I have to find a way to salvage the one I currently have? If anyone has any experience with a problem like this, your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Connector (Attachment 1):

Reg/Rec (Attachment 2):

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
A few days ago I was out riding and my bike died while sitting at a light. All my lights were dim and I couldn't start the engine. After getting it back home and reading multiple forum posts and troubleshooting guides I have found that my Reg/Rec has been fried (Images Below). As a result of this, the connector has been melted around Yellow Pin 1 & 2. I have found a replacement Reg/Rec but I am unsure on what to do about the connector. Is there a replacement option or will I have to find a way to salvage the one I currently have? If anyone has any experience with a problem like this, your help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Connector (Attachment 1):

Reg/Rec (Attachment 2):

Bullet connectors, or even better, solder the wires and heat-shrink them.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,144 Posts
There are replacement connectors available on ebay. Honda also sold the reg/rec kits, but you would have to check with your dealer if they're still available. I'm not home, but if your interested I can post pics and part numbers Monday. eBay may be cheaper. Check the connector for the stator as well. It might be fried too. The connector with the 3 yellows.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
yeah the connectors are cheap on ebay for both r/r n the stator.

5 Way Regulator Rectifier Male Plug Connector for Honda CBR600 F2 F3 CBR600F4 | eBay

for sure tho do a good job cutting it in, like bladeracer said really the best way is to solder the wire n heat shrink it. if you dont itll build corrosion quickly n youll be in the same boat. i just had to redo a friends gsxr that had pieces of wood and black tape where the wires were twisted together! lol it was a mess let me tell you. just a heads up it doesnt matter which yellow goes to which. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had this happen to me last year, wrote a post on it. You can get heat shrink cramps, while I hate to say it (solder is the preferred option with a heat shrink wrap over) I put them on and I've been riding since problem free for the last year.
Same thing cooked a hole right through my reg/rec, and if I did it again over I'd get a Moffat reg/rec, that said, the fried reg/rec was original standard, and it didn't have any fins, I bought a new Honda one, that now have the cooling fins. It's a 2 second job, with a bit of fiddling you don't even need to take the tank off, but I probably would for the best job.
I wouldn't put the connector back in at all.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just looked at the pics properly.. My bad, Mine cooked at the other end, under the seat just front of the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts