Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day

Cbr900 RRP (93 model)

Quick question to ask if anyone uses sealant when assembling inlet rubbers back into the airbox ???

Reason i ask, is i thought they were perished but upon closer inspection, the dark brown perished looking colour is actually some sort of sealant thats been on there god knows how long.

The rubbers themselves look ok and appear a good fit in the air box holes although i've not removed the rubbers completely to check.

Just wondering whether it's done to be on the safe side and stop a return the the bike shop with a problem later on - i.e by the last person who serviced it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
never heard of sealant. they are rubber and have clamps, so i can't imagine why sealant would be needed unless they were worn out and cracked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My inlet also have that Brown sealant... have only had the bike a short while, havent had time to se if it is because they are worn..

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yep the rubbers which go inside the airbox are sealed with some sort of brown sealant mine are the same.. I would recommend if it looks like the seal may not be good running some silicone sealant around the outside, wouldnt put it on the inside just incase it ever come loose and the engine ingests it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies lads. Looks like its common.

Much appreciated.

Maybe its on from the factory or part of a service bulletin etc.

Think i'll price some new ones here in Adelaide & pop abit of relevant sealant on the outside upon re-assembly.

Noticed the sealant whilst stripping bike down.
Set out to whip the plugs out as suspected one was bad when i went to move bike during a house move.. Bike is very tidy n original.

Plug on cyl #3 was black/wet and by the looks of the plugs, they are very very very old !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts