Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys and gals.
I had a rant the other week on the 'post whores' forum about my Blade. I want to ride it on boxing day to Mallory park, but, i need to fix it first!

1) Brought the bike 2 1/2 years ago 13K miles on the clock
2) Since then had 10K problem free miles
3) replaced rear tire and wheel bearings at approx 23K miles (bearings were proper f%$£*d!)
4) 2k miles later the rear bearing disintegrated again, destroying every thing apart from the swing arm / cush drive. (if the bearings didn't destroy them, the angle grinder that i used to cut the spindle out did!)

This may sound extreme, but i will get some pics of the axle and the bearings and you will understand why it didn't slide out!

I have since brought all the replacement parts off ebay, all in good nick off various 92-96 blades. (mines '93 registered - Original)

My issue is....
When i came to bolt it all back together.... IT DOESN'T FIT!

the spacer+cushdrive+wheel+spacer+brake carrier doesnt fit in the gap between the swing arm! it is about 5mm to wide in total. Now, i cant say that it is one item that is the wrong size as it is the combination of all the componants that dont fit!
The swing arm 'looks' straight.
And i regularly clean, adjust, maintain etc.

I know that bearings should last significantly longer than these have, and they were fitted by professionals (did them when they did the tire).

I can do the majority of stuff myself, or with my dad / brother in law. One is a trained mechanic, the other rides bike all year round and does his own maintainence like me.

any ideas on why this would happen / what i could be able to do?
:huh: :huh: :huh:

I am now stumped. :crap:

If i have missed any details that may be critically important please ask... and i will fill you in!

Thanks for reading all!

Milzy

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
OK guys and gals.
I had a rant the other week on the 'post whores' forum about my Blade. I want to ride it on boxing day to Mallory park, but, i need to fix it first!

1) Brought the bike 2 1/2 years ago 13K miles on the clock
2) Since then had 10K problem free miles
3) replaced rear tire and wheel bearings at approx 23K miles (bearings were proper f%$£*d!)
4) 2k miles later the rear bearing disintegrated again, destroying every thing apart from the swing arm / cush drive. (if the bearings didn't destroy them, the angle grinder that i used to cut the spindle out did!)

This may sound extreme, but i will get some pics of the axle and the bearings and you will understand why it didn't slide out!

I have since brought all the replacement parts off ebay, all in good nick off various 92-96 blades. (mines '93 registered - Original)

My issue is....
When i came to bolt it all back together.... IT DOESN'T FIT!

the spacer+cushdrive+wheel+spacer+brake carrier doesnt fit in the gap between the swing arm! it is about 5mm to wide in total. Now, i cant say that it is one item that is the wrong size as it is the combination of all the componants that dont fit!
The swing arm 'looks' straight.
And i regularly clean, adjust, maintain etc.

I know that bearings should last significantly longer than these have, and they were fitted by professionals (did them when they did the tire).

I can do the majority of stuff myself, or with my dad / brother in law. One is a trained mechanic, the other rides bike all year round and does his own maintainence like me.

any ideas on why this would happen / what i could be able to do?
:huh: :huh: :huh:

I am now stumped. :crap:

If i have missed any details that may be critically important please ask... and i will fill you in!

Thanks for reading all!

Milzy
Are the new parts the same widths as the bits you cut off?
'92-'95 are probably the same parts but '96 could be different.
Is it possible the wheel was ever put in with a spacer missing?
That might cause the swingarm to be crushed together.
Are the wheel bearings the same width as the ones that came out?
Are they pressed all the way into the wheel, tight against the bearing spacer?
Is the bearing spacer missing maybe?
Is the sprocket carrier pressing all the way into the wheel?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the new parts the same widths as the bits you cut off?
Is it possible the wheel was ever put in with a spacer missing?
That might cause the swingarm to be crushed together.
Are the wheel bearings the same width as the ones that came out?
Is the bearing spacer missing maybe?
most bits were from 92-95, they may have been 1 from a 96? I'll check the size. thanks:plus1:
Always fitted with all spacers.
wheel bearings cannot be compared as they are destroyed. but they are correctly located. (i have to trust the shop that they fitted the correct ones both time. but, it was the same place. (they have a VERY good reputation.)
Sprocket carrier is located correctly.
Bearing spacer??? wouldn't that make the componants too small if some thing was missing?
I have a parts fish manual for my bike as well as a haynes manual. And all parts are present!

Thanks for the help tho....Keep it coming!

:clap: :clap: :D

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
most bits were from 92-95, they may have been 1 from a 96? I'll check the size. thanks:plus1:
Always fitted with all spacers.
wheel bearings cannot be compared as they are destroyed. but they are correctly located. (i have to trust the shop that they fitted the correct ones both time. but, it was the same place. (they have a VERY good reputation.)
Sprocket carrier is located correctly.
Bearing spacer??? wouldn't that make the componants too small if some thing was missing?
I have a parts fish manual for my bike as well as a haynes manual. And all parts are present!

Thanks for the help tho....Keep it coming!

:clap: :clap: :D
Even a destroyed bearing you can measure the width of.
If the spacer that goes inside the hub between the bearings is missing the bearings will not last long at all.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that was still there in the destroyed wheel!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
that was still there in the destroyed wheel!
Maybe it was the wrong spacer?
Were the bearing seats in the hub damaged at all?
Did the bearings fail because they had lateral load on them or for some other reason?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well if the spindle was over tightened then lateral loads may have damaged the bearing. but this is unlikely as i always fit the wheel myself.

i just cant understand why stuff doesnt fit in the gap!

I can investigate 'why' in parellel with solving this problem. It just doesnt seem to add up.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
btw.
It was all original when i had the bike.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
well if the spindle was over tightened then lateral loads may have damaged the bearing. but this is unlikely as i always fit the wheel myself.

i just cant understand why stuff doesnt fit in the gap!

I can investigate 'why' in parellel with solving this problem. It just doesnt seem to add up.
Over-tightening won't damage the bearings. The axle crushes the bearings against the spacer inside the hub. If the spacer is the correct length (exactly the same length as the hub width across the bearing seats) then you would probably strip the threads on the axle before you crushed a bearing or spacer.
It'll either be that one of the parts is not the right one, the swingarm is not straight, or something is not fitted correctly in the wheel and/or carrier.

Reactions: Milzy

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
btw.
It was all original when i had the bike.
Unless you've owned it since new and done all the maintenance and repairs yourself it's very difficult to know if everything is original or not.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll check / measure it over the week!
Thanks for your help!

Any body else got any ideas?!?!

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
:hmm: my first thought would be... is one of the collared(shouldered?*) spacers the wrong way round?

or
is there something stopping the bearings from being seated all the way home?

*not sure what you call them... the ones that push slightly into the wheel

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually.....I seem to remember that the one spacer sits flush when previously im sure it sat in a little alcove...

that could mean the bearing isnt located correctly.

and that is a job that someone else did.... im gonna take the bearings out and refit them. + measure everything....

i'll do this tomorrow and keep every one informed!

thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
actually.....I seem to remember that the one spacer sits flush when previously im sure it sat in a little alcove...

and that is a job that someone else did.... im gonna take the bearings out and refit them. + measure everything....

i'll do this tomorrow and keep every one informed!

thanks!
pretty sure the LH (sprocket side) spacer should be flush :thumb:
and think ther another similar spacer under the cush drive...

damn!! :rant:gunna have to check the one in the shed now
:rotfl:

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts

damn!! :rant:gunna have to check the one in the shed now
:rotfl:
couldn't take it anymore... i had to go and check:rotfl:

&

:hmm: I was wrong!! it dont push in flush it sticks out 5or6mm and the otherside is 3 or 4mm(sorry couldnt find my tape measure so these are guestimates)

couple of pics... hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are a legend SSB.
I will check everything over in the next day or so, take pics and show everything!

Thanks you pair!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bladeracer, the sprocket was all the way in....

i was correct! it did sit in an alcove thingy!

couldn't take it anymore... i had to go and check:rotfl:

&
:hmm: I was wrong!! it dont push in flush it sticks out 5or6mm and the otherside is 3 or 4mm(sorry couldnt find my tape measure so these are guestimates)

couple of pics... hope this helps
SSB, see the sprocket side image... can you see the rubber around the bearing???

Solved!!!

The wheel bearings were all correctly located.
the cushdrive bearing was not seated quite right, and the rubber cover / bearing protector was not in place resulting in it 'looking' funny!

seated the bearing, lubed it all up, and it went back together a treat!
i just needed to attack it with a fresh pair of eyes!

i can now return all the parts to the correct locations on the bike, clean her, say sorry, and then go for a ride!*

thanks for your help guys!!

*admittedly, this wont be until after sunday due to the battery needing charging and other family stuff. But, at leaast its a start!

the 1 image is the damage tothe axle from the destroyed bearing!
the other is the located bearing with the rubber missing!

MUCH BETTER!!!

thanks again.

Attachments

Reactions: Sideshow bob

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
SSB, see the sprocket side image... can you see the rubber around the bearing??
On mine... you cant see the bairing as its behind a seal that the spacer slots into

do you think thats why you got through the new ones so quick?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think so, that was the only bearing I haven't needed to replace!

I hope that broke because I did something stupid like forget to oil the axle? Because I can't think of anything else!
We will see!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I don't think so, that was the only bearing I haven't needed to replace!

I hope that broke because I did something stupid like forget to oil the axle? Because I can't think of anything else!
We will see!
The only reason to grease the axle is to help insertion and prevent rusting.
Nothing spins on the axle - unless a bearing nips up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts