Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Am looking for some help please. I have an import CBR900 RRV which is in very good condition.. I love it but would really like to change the speedo as its km/h only and is tricky to read. I have an overlay sticker that gets it through the mot but when it gets dark it's almost impossible to read clearly.
So have been toying with changing the whole cluster but as you would expect used ones are a bit tatty and it would spoil the bike.
I noticed that I can get a new mph speedo mechanism.. But just not sure how easy it would be to fit. Is the instrument panel sealed?
Anyone changed a complete speedo inerds?
Thanks

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,562 Posts
You should be able to pull the entire cluster apart and swap out whatever you want. A few years ago it was almost common place to pull the cluster out and replace the entire unit with that of a CBR600F4i unit. I did that on my RRP, as I had no cluster at all during my build:

All the wires are pretty much color coded and match up. It's documented in my build thread in my signature. I was lucky enough at the time to get a new faceplate to show the proper red line, as the F4 revs out around 14k. Your speed sensor should be located on the countershaft sprocket cover and cannot be modified. I had to actually add all that to mine because the RRP had the old school cable and gear set up off the front wheel. I changed to a 17" VFR wheel, yet another reason for me to upgrade to the electric speedo:

You need to be patient and shop around. You could try and locate a U.S. spec RRV cluster that reads in MPH and just swap it right in.

Oops, I think I misread your question. lol enjoy the pics anyway, If you want to just change the dial assembly and the odometer I guess you could do that too. It should come right out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply... But yes.. I'm interested in changing the speedo inerds not the cluster.
Just wondered if its easy to take the speedo mechanism out of the housing..

Nice pics though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I managed to fit the new speedo mechanism... And as stated it was easy...
Now I have a new problem.
After fitting the new one, the speedo appears to read very low, like 20% low...
Any ideas? Is there another part I need to change?

·
7,562 Posts
If it was an RRV speedo then nothing. Was it a 900RR replacement? Or another model? 20% sounds like a substantial discrepancy. Maybe the cable needs replacing? But I would question the unit you put in the cluster.

I need a coffee. You don't have a cable. lol

·
7,562 Posts
Is MPH to KPH a 20% difference? Can you post a pic of exactly what you swapped out? Like the old piece?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the pic of the old km/h part. I just replaced this part only with a genuine mph part.
Attached a pic of the box of the new one.

I have one other option that I will try.. Which is swap the circuit boards over... As it's only a push fit onto the dial and I know the old one worked ok but just didn't have mph on the dial.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I tested th new mph insert (on a private track officer ;-) )

It read 84mph, but according to the gps app on my phone it said 106mph

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, that's what I'm thinking.. So if I swap the circuit board it should just work as the dial positioning should be the same as it's just that the original one only had km/h

1 - 14 of 14 Posts