Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 CBR900RRT

I've pulled out the main wiring harness, and some of the relays appear to be corroded, or melted, or just plain broken.

The key is snapped off in the ignition, and I am looking to replace the whole thing with an RFID key-less ignition system. Can anyone recommend a system?

The Gauges are dead, I'm looking at wiring up an Acewell 3913.

The front and rear suspension have zero travel, I'll be having them looked at - I think the rear can be saved but the front might be bent.

Fairings have been thrown in the garbage, looking for an non-fiberglass ERION fairings - I am not sure they exist though.

Any advice or direction would be fantastic - its my first rebuild so this will likely be a long, slow, process where I make a ton of obvious glaring errors.

First Honda!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've got some rebuilt front brake calipers. Pretty good condition stock seats ( no tears ).
all the stuff I have is stock but I rebuilt a 96 RR and completely rebuilt it. I have alot of stuff I took off it and replaced. The parts are used but in working condition. Let me know if you need any stock stuff and maybe I can help you out.

The bodywork is gone but the I still have the rest of the parts in the last photo.

Here's a copy of the completed bike.

Nick

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,059 Posts
1996 CBR900RRT

I've pulled out the main wiring harness, and some of the relays appear to be corroded, or melted, or just plain broken.

The key is snapped off in the ignition, and I am looking to replace the whole thing with an RFID key-less ignition system. Can anyone recommend a system?

The Gauges are dead, I'm looking at wiring up an Acewell 3913.

The front and rear suspension have zero travel, I'll be having them looked at - I think the rear can be saved but the front might be bent.

Fairings have been thrown in the garbage, looking for an non-fiberglass ERION fairings - I am not sure they exist though.

Any advice or direction would be fantastic - its my first rebuild so this will likely be a long, slow, process where I make a ton of obvious glaring errors.

First Honda!:D
:welcome: Holy smokes, you jumped in with both feet!:eek: I hope the motor has oil in it and it turns over. We'll be here to help you out. :thumb:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:welcome: Holy smokes, you jumped in with both feet!:eek: I hope the motor has oil in it and it turns over. We'll be here to help you out. :thumb:
Well it definitely has oil in it, and supposedly it could be pushed started before I started tearing it apart... It's been sitting for at least a year I suspect the number is closer to two.

It needs a lot of work, but it shouldn't be toooo awful to get her up to running order.

Edit: The 2nd Photo is of a nail that was being used as the rear brake pedal...

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've got some rebuilt front brake calipers. Pretty good condition stock seats ( no tears ).
all the stuff I have is stock but I rebuilt a 96 RR and completely rebuilt it. I have alot of stuff I took off it and replaced. The parts are used but in working condition. Let me know if you need any stock stuff and maybe I can help you out.
Will send you a PM once I figure out how...

I apparently don't have PM abilities yet - but do I see a Fuel tank cap, Switch Set, & Switch Assembly?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
welcome to the site!! it needs some work but ive seen way worse come back to be fully bad ass so you can do it.

check out auctmart for the fairings. get injection molded not compression. most of these suppliers can make the fairing to order based on nothing more than some stock pictures of what you want off google images. it doesnt even cost any extra to have them custom painted to match what you want. ive seen several guys simply send in pictures n they nail it. auctmarts is a pretty solid company based on friends that have used them. pretty good quality for 550$ delivered. oem fairings would run you better than 2,000 if you buy them new.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
ive seen much worse. : ) im not really a carb guy tho. ive had several carbed bikes but ive always paid to have them rebuilt myself. doesnt look like there was a lot of varnish down in the nooks n crannies tho

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I had never heard of this stuff before, but a ton of old racers swear by it. You can dip your carbs in this stuff whole, doesnt hurt rubber parts. I just bought some and am going to soak my carbs this week sometime. You can find it on Amazon or Ebay.

Yamaha Carburetor Cleaner Dip At Parker Yamaha.com

·
8,059 Posts
Hmmm how are these Carbs looking to you guys? :confused:
This may sound weird but those look pretty good compared to what I'm used to. Here are mine from 2013 when I resurected my current pride and joy from the brink of death:

They cleaned up and it runs like a dream:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
LETS JUST SAY, IF THINGS WENT HORRIBLY-HORRIBLY WRONG...

What aftermarket carbs fit the 96?

:rolleyes:
As far as I know, only Keihin FCR's with TPS work in either a 39mm or a 41mm versions. Ian will know for sure.

Oh, and the sound of them make it all worth the price tag,

·
8,059 Posts
LETS JUST SAY, IF THINGS WENT HORRIBLY-HORRIBLY WRONG...

What aftermarket carbs fit the 96?

:rolleyes:

Right. The real only after market are the Keihin FCR Flatslides. All other year 93-99 carbs will go right in, however the 93-95 won't have the TPS.

So when you said boiling in Oxyclean, was that the complete rack with o-rings, etc? Please tell me you dismantled them completely......

Sounds like you already had a catastrophe.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
lol i hate to laugh but your wording made me chuckle. can we get an after shot of the horribly horribly wrong oxy-clean boiled carbs.

you should be able to find a set on ebay that arent real bad for under a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Right. The real only after market are the Keihin FCR Flatslides. All other year 93-99 carbs will go right in, however the 93-95 won't have the TPS.

So when you said boiling in Oxyclean, was that the complete rack with o-rings, etc? Please tell me you dismantled them completely......

Sounds like you already had a catastrophe.
Oh no, only metal went into the pot of bubbling chemicals... And came out slightly blacker but still cleaner than when it went in.

BUT all the rubber pieces are completely dry rotted and cracked. All the float bowl gaskets are trash...

you should be able to find a set on ebay that arent real bad for under a couple hundred bucks.
After looking at what it would cost to get a rebuilt kit $30 x 4 = $120; I might just pick up a refurb'd set.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts