Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for some insight. I recently bought a 98 cbr900rr a few weeks ago, and I don’t have spark at the coils I have had the coils checked I have gone through the harness. I alsohad someone go trough it that went to mmi and said everything is good I’ve ohms tested it too everything ohms good. I’m still having a issue I have power to coil but no spark. Also have bought a new ice and studied the manual for the bike and still confused on what it could be new pulse generator getting power there too can anybody tell me if there is a tip over switch or something I may have over looked please thanks in advance.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,892 Posts
Do you have the OEM ignition switch in? If not, or if it's aftermarket you're probably missing the Zener Diode at the base of your ignition. It sends a dropped down voltage to the ECU as a theft deterrent, and it wont spark if voltage is 12vdc at the pink wire on the ECU.

·
7,892 Posts
Hello, I am looking for some insight. I recently bought a 98 cbr900rr a few weeks ago, and I don’t have spark at the coils I have had the coils checked I have gone through the harness. I alsohad someone go trough it that went to mmi and said everything is good I’ve ohms tested it too everything ohms good. I’m still having a issue I have power to coil but no spark. Also have bought a new ice and studied the manual for the bike and still confused on what it could be new pulse generator getting power there too can anybody tell me if there is a tip over switch or something I may have over looked please thanks in advance.

There is no Bank Angle Sensor on the 98-99 900RR. How about the start switch? It’s on RUN, yes? lol. If you have power to the coils, and no spark there is probably an issue with the ECU. Do you have a pic of the bike at the moment? Maybe there is something disconnected or missing that we could eyeball. I’m pretty familiar with 900’s and wiring :wink

I put coil on cap coils on my 99 tracks bike and deleted ALL the unnecessary street wiring etc.

·
7,892 Posts
Forgot which bike we were talking about there , of course no BAS:nod:
lol No worries Bill, you have so much knowledge stored upstairs that a misfire is bound to happen every now and then :wink

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a new cdI box and still no spark but when I turn it over the oil light never goes away could this be an issue

·
7,892 Posts
I have a new cdI box and still no spark but when I turn it over the oil light never goes away could this be an issue
The oil light is a pressure switch, won't turn off until bike is running and pressure builds.

You got any pictures of this thing? I find it hard to believe we haven't found this issue already. Everything is pointing to a simple electrical failure somewhere. These bikes aren't complicated.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
if you've 12v at the coils, the wiring is ok, and you've swapped the ecu have have you checked the cam and crank sensors? if there is a fault then I doubt it would spark. I assume you have no alarm/immobiliser that could be causing the issue?

·
7,892 Posts
if you've 12v at the coils, the wiring is ok, and you've swapped the ecu have have you checked the cam and crank sensors? if there is a fault then I doubt it would spark. I assume you have no alarm/immobiliser that could be causing the issue?
Hey MH, no crank or cam sensors on the RRW, she’s an old carbied girl, and they have minimal electronics.

But the alarm is a good point ??

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
The old 1990’s alarms are bloody nightmare. My 1994 RRR alarm caused starting problems, I just disconnected it and then carefully removed it all. Luckily on my more recent purchase some clever soul has already removed it.

If you remove the rechargeable battery from the alarm control unit (usually under the seat) and disconnect it from the bikes battery it will completely disable it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I placed a nine volt battery to the pink wire then had spark then lost it once again had fire too but lost it again any answers ?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts