Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Why not try pulling the Pink wire from the ICU , connecting the Positive of your 9v battery in its place and Negative of the 9v battery to a good earth , just in case its the Pink wire itself that might be defective (if you already managed to get a spark)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Can anybody tell me why the bike had spark but no longer has spark I have put 9v to it had spark almost fired now don’t have spark at all

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,862 Posts
You cannot check the operation of a zener diode by measuring it's resistance. What voltage do you see on the pink wire with the ignition switched on?
The diode he was talking about was the Clutch Diode that he tested:wink
Fair enough, though he was replying to Ian who asked if he had checked the zener!
Yeh ,its always a problem when not quoting to direct questions,things get misunderstood:wink
I missed his explanation on that, as I should have paid more attention to him when he said “ohms”.

I assumed he was replying to me as well there, but missed it.

·
7,862 Posts
Can anybody tell me why the bike had spark but no longer has spark I have put 9v to it had spark almost fired now don’t have spark at all
Colton, how did you add the 9v battery?

Post some pics for Pete’s sake!

Don’t get an aftermarket ignition, as they don’t come with the Zener Diode. Your test with the 9v basically confirms the Zener Diode is not doing its job. They can be replaced, as I have done it on my 99. BUT, that doesn’t explain why you had it then lost it.

The idea here is that the diode steps down, regulates, and allows one way flow of the lower voltage (anywhere between 8.5-10vdc) to the ECU so it will then allow spark. It’s possible, but very unlikely you’re 9v battery is bad or killed the ECU (I had the full 12v going into the ECU when I was testing mine, so I doubt that’s your problem).

I think you need to keep the 9v in play or look here at my thread about placing the Zener Diode in line on the pink.

Here’s a quick link to that part of the build. It may be a few pages long.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/109691-yes-another-900rr-revamp-build-thread-1999-racer-hopefully-29.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The pink wire only has about 3mv going threw it with the key just on and the way I ran the nine volt is I placed the two pink wires to positive and earthed it too the frame of motorcycle

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Always disheartens me to read these threads. Makes me realise how far I'm out of my depth with electricals.

Guess I'll just focus on my chamois, micro fibre cloths and polish.:frown

Not making light of the situation here; I'm sure anyone presented with such problems would be at the limits of their frustration.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
The pink wire only has about 3mv going threw it with the key just on and the way I ran the nine volt is I placed the two pink wires to positive and earthed it too the frame of motorcycle
Hi, what you need to do is take the Pink wire either out of the ECU or connector harness side at the ignition switch and connect the positive (of the 9v battery ) to the Pink wire going to the ECU, and no pink wire going back to the ignition,and the negative of the 9v battery to a good earth, and try to start the engine:wink

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If I was to take the pink wire off the ecu would I have to get a older ecu to make it fire or will it fire with the same ecu

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
If I was to take the pink wire off the ecu would I have to get a older ecu to make it fire or will it fire with the same ecu
No , the battery intervention I gave you in the previous post was only to check whether the diode is working or not ,once you have done that fix it should be clear as to the next move,taking the Pink wire out is only temporary:wink

·
7,862 Posts
Hi, what you need to do is take the Pink wire either out of the ECU or connector harness side at the ignition switch and connect the positive (of the 9v battery ) to the Pink wire going to the ECU, and no pink wire going back to the ignition,and the negative of the 9v battery to a good earth, and try to start the engine:wink
Do this before anything else

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Spark comes and goes but the nine volt gave me spark again how do I check pulse generator
Hi , if the 9v battery is getting you a spark , then your ignition pulse generator should be ok,and its probably the diode, did the engine fire at all?
You could do with a Peak Voltage Adaptor to test properly , and could be you've flooded the engine after all these attempts , take the plugs out to see if their wet:wink

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I got it to run for a few mins then spark would come and go it wanted to spark when ever it wanted too I changed out both ecu again and got fire but lost it again I’m just so confused

21 - 40 of 54 Posts