Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Hi , now you know the bike runs ,you have to find out what is making it intermittent , you will need to check connectors and wiring especially the Earth wiring from the ECU , as it's the Earth signal from the ECU that produces the spark .Look for a central earthing point on the wiring and check that out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I went threw the grounds and cleaned them up cut and spliced them in and still nothing should I try a new harness or what still stuck in a rut

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I cleaned the ground and made sure I was getting good connections and I cleaned it up and still nothing I’m so confused

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,862 Posts
I cleaned the ground and made sure I was getting good connections and I cleaned it up and still nothing I’m so confused
Any way to score a cheap used ECU and see if that's it? They typically don't go bad on the older bikes, but still could happen. I'm just as confused, tore into my 99's harness and cleaned it of all unnecessary wires (lights, etc) for track only duty. Still fired right up even after me guessing on connections, splices and taping wires together.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I have another Ecu that I bought it’s been checked but still nothing it went from good blue spark to a white spark and weak I really just need another harness

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Does anybody know where I can get a used harness and can I use an older harness for this year from a earlier model

·
7,862 Posts
Does anybody know where I can get a used harness and can I use an older harness for this year from a earlier model
Salvage yards, internet searches, or eBay. Not much out there. the 99 uses the same harness as far as amount wires and connections. However, the turn signal connections are different. That's about it from 98-99.

The earlier models all have small additions/subtractions in the wire harnesses. The ECU's all added wires through the years, so some will have more pins for the ECU. The earlier models also have a slightly larger gauge wire, but that really shouldn't matter.

93-95 should all work together. 96-96 are the same, and should be identical, but as stated will have a different ECU amount of wires and the turn signal plugs wont work. But I guess that depends on how much you want to carve into the used harness to make it work, possibly creating new issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So i would be safer just to go threw the harness and try to repair it also need to know what wires will bypass the clutch and neutral switch

·
Registered
2 Posts
any updates on this? I have just begun working on my 94 900rr that has been sitting for about 10 years, it ran when i parked it (in climate controlled garage). After taking it out of storage and cleaning carbs it has no spark.

·
7,862 Posts
You can probably agree that bikes or parts just don't fail from non-use, BUT I suppose its possible in certain circumstances. I have a 93 that I've been an "owner" of since sometime round 1997. It too at one point sat in a heated warehouse for the better part of 10 years without seeing 12volts or the light of day. I resurrected it with a carb clean and tank flush and it purred back to life.

I would offer that there is a switch or ground that is damaged, or a broken wire in the harness somewhere. Make sure all the switches work and are in the proper position.

There have been quite a few threads recently where the older 900's "have no spark". I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. These ignition systems are inherently simple, there aren't a lot of components.

Battery, CDI, pulse generator, coils, leads. Check to make sure the internals of the run switch hasn't become a haven for spiders.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with Ian, sitting alone would not cause the issue. But sitting and a mouse nibbling on a wire might? Best bet is to go through each connection point and make sure it is good. I by no no means am that good with electrical stuff, as I am usually asking for help and YouTubing shit to fix it but I can say without hesitation almost 99% of the time I have had electrical issues on mechanical devices it was the simplest problem....ie ground, bad battery etc.........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. (by the way, I was even so bold to fully bolt the tank up because I was so sure it would start right up) so i did a visual inspection of all wiring and all looked good so i decided to pull the stator cover off and everything looked good in there. put it back together and next thing you know I have spark. started it up today and it runs a little rough at idle and just off idle. I also noticed the stator wires got kind of hot while it was running so I ordered a new stator today. we will see it that is the issue. Ill update the thread when i finally get it worked out.

A side note is it is over filled with oil. I did that back when i used to stunt it because i always heard the motor can get starved for oil during long wheelies. Im going to get it to the proper oil level as well.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts