Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, could anybody give details on how to prep a cbr900rr (1994) frame for painting. I want to paint it, instead of polishing it, or powder coat. Could anyone who has had experience in doing this please help me, as I dont want to mess this up. Many thanks in advance.:)

·
Banned
163 Posts
Must sand w/ 320. Then use a eching primer. If you don't prep correctly the paint WILL peel. Alum is soo smooth and the pores are not deep.
Go to you local auto paint supply shop and talk to a paint jobber. Every paint has it's own process. Meaning you can't use certain primers with some bases and top coats. Tell your jobber what it is you are trying to do and they will steer you the right way.
Single stage paint?
Two stage paint?
Clear coat?
Stickers?
Metal flake?
These are all things you will need to think about BEFORE you buy the paint.
Auto paint is really $$$$$$$$ make sure you get what you want.
GOOD LUCK!!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Must sand w/ 320. Then use a eching primer. If you don't prep correctly the paint WILL peel. Alum is soo smooth and the pores are not deep.
Go to you local auto paint supply shop and talk to a paint jobber. Every paint has it's own process. Meaning you can't use certain primers with some bases and top coats. Tell your jobber what it is you are trying to do and they will steer you the right way.
Single stage paint?
Two stage paint?
Clear coat?
Stickers?
Metal flake?
These are all things you will need to think about BEFORE you buy the paint.
Auto paint is really $$$$$$$$ make sure you get what you want.
GOOD LUCK!!!!:thumb:
you could also sandblast it with "black beauty", it is very agressive and leaves a good paint adhesion surface behind. this also gives you a more uniform finish underneath if you are going for a transparent paint. i would powdercoat if i were you, it is much more durable

1 - 3 of 3 Posts