Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running the stock sprockets right now and I am wondering what the general thought is on the best sprocket size combinition for this bike. The gears are plenty tall so I was thinking on droping down one in the front to get a litte more pep at lower rpms...

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I am running the stock sprockets right now and I am wondering what the general thought is on the best sprocket size combinition for this bike. The gears are plenty tall so I was thinking on droping down one in the front to get a litte more pep at lower rpms...

thoughts?
I'd recommend it.
If you don't like it, all it's cost you is the front sprocket.

·
Registered
478 Posts

thoughts?
Thats what im running on my 98, im very happy with it. Extra down low but doesnt throw the front wheel at you every time you take off

·
Registered
240 Posts
I went +1 in the back. It's not quite as low as -1 in the front, but I noticed the difference over stock. It is right on the edge of lifting the front when I give it. Going +1 in the back is slightly easier on the chain, but your wheel base gets a tiny bit shorter. -1 in the front is harder on the chain, but you wheel base gets a tiny bit longer. I'm due for new sprockets and chain, and I'm going to go -1 this time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went +1 in the back. It's not quite as low as -1 in the front, but I noticed the difference over stock. It is right on the edge of lifting the front when I give it. Going +1 in the back is slightly easier on the chain, but your wheel base gets a tiny bit shorter. -1 in the front is harder on the chain, but you wheel base gets a tiny bit longer. I'm due for new sprockets and chain, and I'm going to go -1 this time.
Man I would think one up in the back would be barley noticable. Also not sure what you mean but the front wheel being on the edge of lifting. Mine lifts no problem with the stock sprockets?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have lost a ton of top end but I am getting old and am married now so I don't need to go 200MPH anymore. I just like that fact that I can get there so quick that it feels like I have a turbo on it. I am not sure my speed shifting into second as I usually am watching the sky at that point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have lost a ton of top end but I am getting old and am married now so I don't need to go 200MPH anymore. I just like that fact that I can get there so quick that it feels like I have a turbo on it. I am not sure my speed shifting into second as I usually am watching the sky at that point.
lol well I think I will try the 1 down in the front first... Although I do like the sounds of that turbo feeling ...

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
lol well I think I will try the 1 down in the front first... Although I do like the sounds of that turbo feeling ...
That's a bit of a stretch really :)
You can get the same result by simply riding in a lower gear than you usually do.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Man I would think one up in the back would be barley noticable. Also not sure what you mean but the front wheel being on the edge of lifting. Mine lifts no problem with the stock sprockets?
It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable. It felt a bit quicker, plus roll on tests against my brother's bike put me ahead of him for a change.
If I floor my bike and just hang on for the ride, the front wheel might come up. I don't know if I am subconsciencley doing something to prevent it from wheelying, or the bike just won't power wheely. I know the bike isn't down on power, as it has a 945cc kit with fresh rings just two summers ago, ss header, and slipon. Stock there was no way it would power wheely. You must be clutching it up, chopping the throttle, or giving a tug on the bars to get it up. I wouldn't think 115hp is enough to wheely on pure power alone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable. It felt a bit quicker, plus roll on tests against my brother's bike put me ahead of him for a change.
If I floor my bike and just hang on for the ride, the front wheel might come up. I don't know if I am subconsciencley doing something to prevent it from wheelying, or the bike just won't power wheely. I know the bike isn't down on power, as it has a 945cc kit with fresh rings just two summers ago, ss header, and slipon. Stock there was no way it would power wheely. You must be clutching it up, chopping the throttle, or giving a tug on the bars to get it up. I wouldn't think 115hp is enough to wheely on pure power alone.
I don't need to clutch it, snap it or jerk it to get it to come up. Mike bike is pretty much stock. If I full trottle it in first gear at about 6-7k rmp it comes up on its own. I may be leaning back a tad but not jerking or chopping the throttle? Also I thought they were 124hp? Specs I find everywhere say so? see the link below.
1994 Honda CBR 900 RR Fireblade specifications and pictures

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I don't need to clutch it, snap it or jerk it to get it to come up. Mike bike is pretty much stock. If I full trottle it in first gear at about 6-7k rmp it comes up on its own. I may be leaning back a tad but not jerking or chopping the throttle? Also I thought they were 124hp? Specs I find everywhere say so? see the link below.
1994 Honda CBR 900 RR Fireblade specifications and pictures
"Power wheelies" can be due to many things regardless of peak output.
Dips in the power curve can cause excessive rearward weight transfer as can different riding positions.

Specs are bhp or "at the crank" but ignore anything from those bike spec sites as they're totally unreliable. Wiki is a bit better as it's better policed but never take it as truth until you've comfirmed data from a better source.

·
Registered
240 Posts
115 at the rear wheel, according to magazines, so 124 at the crank would be about right.
Maybe a small part of it is I live in Calgary, which is at about 3500ft above sea level. I made a trip to Vancouver (sea level), and it did wheely quite easily. And then when I came back to Calgary, my bike felt weak. Whatever, it's still more than enough to put a huge grin on my face. Damn winter, go away already and let me ride again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.