Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed that the temperature guage needle only moves off it’s bottom stop approx 5mm even when the bike has been ridden for 20+ miles, is this normal? I would have thought it should read closer to the middle of the gauge with the engine fully warmed up?, cheers Mark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve noticed that the temperature guage needle only moves off it’s bottom stop approx 5mm even when the bike has been ridden for 20+ miles, is this normal? I would have thought it should read closer to the middle of the gauge with the engine fully warmed up?, cheers Mark.
sounds like the thermostat might be stuck open.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like the thermostat might be stuck open.
Thanks for the reply Iain, yes I guess it could be that, I’m good with mechanicals, average with electrics, and a cretin when it comes to cooling systems, but I can’t think of anything else in the cooling system that would cause it, unless the sender or gauge are faulty, so I’ll get hold of a new thermostat and try it, worse case being I’ve fitted a new one unnecessarily, cheers Mark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I’ve replaced the thermostat, I did intend to replace the sender but it’s quite apparent that it going to shear before it unscrews!, several days of soaking it with penetrating oil etc and it’s as tight as hell, tried all the usual tricks but I guess after 25 years it’s happy where it is :), so I’ve decided to leave it alone, I may at some point fit the new sender I have elsewhere in the system, replacing the water pump drain plug with the sender (drill and tap the plug orifice to suit) maybe, or make a T piece and fit it in a hose, anyway I’ve replaced the radiator fan switch with a new one as a precaution so if it does get hot the fan will do it’s job, replacing the thermostat made no difference to the reading so if your gauge reads low it’s very probably just the sender that’s gone.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,356 Posts
If I remember correctly, my 93’s needle would typically never move past 1/4 of the total travel unless it was 90f outside and stuck in traffic.

And yes, that sending unit of brass is a tapered pipe thread and probably stuck nicely in there. Even if it does come out broken, you can remove the housing right there on the head and clean it up. If you get a new one you’ll see how it’s tapered.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
my 94 is between the T and the E of the word TEMP but does get a bit higher when real hot like last weekend and the fan cut in, but nto much - seems to be the way - wonder if all SC28s are like it or not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts