Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I own 4 CA CBR900s from the 90s. 1993,95,97,99 (pictured). White, Purple/Black, Red, Yellow/White. Original owner. All stock/mint. Always garaged. About 10K+ miles on each. They all run/idle, but 3 out of 4 need carb de-clogging to some degree. I am having trouble finding a trained mechanic to service them. My almost-local Honda dealerships will no longer work on them. I'd love to keep them, but I'm seriously contemplating selling them, especially the 97 and 99.

Does anyone know if there is still a market for these bikes? Do they still have any value other than the 93? I live in NorCal. If anyone has any suggestions as the best way to sell them (and not take a bath), I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance...Fred

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Hi Fred, certainly is a market for these bikes, (at least here in the UK) think what's holding them back at present is today's situation , may be a question of holding on to them till the situation becomes clearer, @IanDoohan is the chap to ask over there. (y)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bet there are independent shops with the right knowledge that would be happy to have a customer with a stable of well kept bikes like yours. I left NorCal 20 years ago but back then there was many guys with '80s sport bikes in a similar situation to yours (I remeber some shocked friends who couldn't belive the cut off age for Harley service back then). Some sucessful networking might get you in touch with local people like so many in this forum who could do the services you're looking from their house garages. Probably not factory trained but there is a lot of talent out there,

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,197 Posts
Shit, if you were on the east coast I would work on them all. There is a market for them, across the pond. The states have grown out if such things apparently. Everything now is FI and either 1000cc or 400cc. There is such a small niche for the 900 now it’s almost extinct. A few of us left. You could get Iconic Motorbikes involved, but I think they are SoCal. Probably your best bet for top dollar sale to a collector. None will ever be more popular than a RWB 93, but the others hold value pretty good too. The are truly one of the easiest bikes to wrench on from the 90’s but, as they get older now the parts are getting scarce now if something should get damaged during the course of service. Carb gasket sets however, are not one of them. Plenty around. Good luck with them, I’ll be here in CT, jealous as hell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
View attachment 109098
I own 4 CA CBR900s from the 90s. 1993,95,97,99 (pictured). White, Purple/Black, Red, Yellow/White. Original owner. All stock/mint. Always garaged. About 10K+ miles on each. They all run/idle, but 3 out of 4 need carb de-clogging to some degree. I am having trouble finding a trained mechanic to service them. My almost-local Honda dealerships will no longer work on them. I'd love to keep them, but I'm seriously contemplating selling them, especially the 97 and 99.

Does anyone know if there is still a market for these bikes? Do they still have any value other than the 93? I live in NorCal. If anyone has any suggestions as the best way to sell them (and not take a bath), I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance...Fred
I contacted a guy on Craigslist who does mobile mechanicing. He is interested in doing the work and getting an option to possibly buy one.

Any ideas what is a reasonable fee to pay the guy to do a 180 mile round-trip and diagnose 3 of the bikes? I'm not made of $, but I don't want to cheap out and scare him away either. Last time I had two of them carb serviced in 2018, the Powersports dealership charged me about $800 per. Should I expect to pay that kind of money to a mobile mechanic who clearly has less overhead than a Honda store? I.E. Does that seem reasonable to you folks? Any ideas would be welcomed.

Ian...What would you charge for the work...ballpark...if I lived in your neck of the woods?

Thanks again...Fred

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,197 Posts
I would have a number per mile for the travel for wear and tear on the vehicle. Add in a buck or two for the travel time.
$800 per having to take them off the bike is still a bit steep. I would be charging $200 or so for the straight rebuild. Probably toss in another hundred because I would have to take them off the bike. Not sure I would be able to get both bikes done in a day, and would hopefully have my own ultrasonic bathe tub to bring to do it right, as well as a set of synchronization gauges. So, with the mileage being a “whatever” number, I would be in for the $300 per bike, plus parts cost, with no markup there. That seems fair to me, but I eat, sleep, and dream these bikes, and can pretty much work on them with my eyes closed, using one arm 😆. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you are anywhere close to Indiana, Redline Powersports in Fort Wayne used to be a former Honda dealership. The former owner is the head mechanic there now and their specialty is older Honda bikes. They do carbed bikes all the time and they are very good at it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i'm shocked you can't get shops to work on them. i never had a shop or mechanic turn the 900 down. i did my own carbs but didn't separate the so i didn't have to re-sync them. hardest part was separating them from the bike.

I’ll be here in CT, jealous as hell.
is this the same guy who was selling his blades to get a vette?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts