Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

As usual i searched the forum a bit to see if anyone had a similar issue but no avail. So.. Since i got my 1997 cbr919rrv i felt the speedometer shows too high speed. I figured the chains and sprockets might have been replaced with non standard cog-counts, so when i replaced chain and sprocket i made sure to verify that i got the correct ones.

Yesterday i took the bike to autobahn in germany for the first time. I rushed it till i saw the meter going over 300, which happened quite easily. During the next pitstop i checked my GPS. Top speed was 202 km/h, leaving a HUGE gap.

What can be wrong, and is there any way to correct for this. For the record, the 1997 uses the oldschool analog speedometer.

Thankful for replies.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hi guys,

As usual i searched the forum a bit to see if anyone had a similar issue but no avail. So.. Since i got my 1997 cbr919rrv i felt the speedometer shows too high speed. I figured the chains and sprockets might have been replaced with non standard cog-counts, so when i replaced chain and sprocket i made sure to verify that i got the correct ones.

Yesterday i took the bike to autobahn in germany for the first time. I rushed it till i saw the meter going over 300, which happened quite easily. During the next pitstop i checked my GPS. Top speed was 202 km/h, leaving a HUGE gap.

What can be wrong, and is there any way to correct for this. For the record, the 1997 uses the oldschool analog speedometer.

Thankful for replies.

I would guess it's a mix of different model parts - speed sensor and speedo.
Do you know what year your engine is?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess that it's the original engine, but i bought it used so i have no way of knowing. Will the engine have the same number as the frame?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I would guess that it's the original engine, but i bought it used so i have no way of knowing. Will the engine have the same number as the frame?

No, but the second digit of the serial number is the production year - '97 would be a 1, so SC33E-21xxxxx.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,217 Posts
Is the speed sensor picking up at the front sprocket, or on the top of the top engine case above the tranny?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts