Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the process of building my track bike. I got an engine used that is a 980 big bore. I Am putting everything back together and was installing the clutch lever and cable. The cable almost seems too short as it seems to be actuating the clutch (not sure if it is or not) with the lever not squeezed and the adjusters all the way in. I had the side cover off and was thinking maybe I did not get the rod the cable connects to engaged with the plunger correctly. I played with it awhile and read the manual. From what I can tell there is only one way it will really mesh together. So I put the cover and arm on and started looking at where the cable mount ends up with it loosely pulled forward. I have three other 929 engines near by so I compared it to them. The other three are all allowing the pivot arm to go to 9 oclock (front of bike is 12 oclock), the 980 clutch arm will only go to about 7:30-8 oclock. I pulled the cover off another engine to see if maybe the arm/rod was different. They appear to be the same. I even tried swapping the rod to see if that helped and got no loving. Started looking closely at the clutch plunger to see if it was dfferent, seems the same. What is different is the pressure plate. It looks entirely different and is a machined surface not a cast piece. The 980 one also uses allen screws vs. bolts.

Has anyone seen this problem or know a fix? I know I could probably get a longer cable but just not sure what the real problem is. Is the pressure plate in the 980 some aftermarket unit or just a newer Honda unit? Any help in any direction would be good.

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
The last fiber should be in the shallow slot on the clutch basket. That could your problem.

Any idea who built the 980 motor? I can't recall a Honda clutch with 6 springs on the pressure plate. If you happen to take this clutch apart please post more pictures of it. I would like to see more pictures of the inside of this clutch try to and figure out what its from. Maybe even take a fiber from each one and see if they are the same size.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed that with the fiber as well and was wandering about it. The 980 was supposedly built by Speed Werks in Delaware. I got it on ebay. It was from a parted out race bike. Found some adds of the bike for sale and from the looks of everything it seems legit. I can kind of see the bottom of the number 4 piston through the clutch side and it looks like an aftermarket piston. I can not track down the original owner to find out the details, and without know a name speedwerks is unable to tell me much. I may take apart that clutch just to see if it provides any more clues. I figure it had to work at some point just not sure what they did to make it work.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just started thinking. I know nothing about slipper clutches. If this is some type of slipper clutch do I have to worry about little balls and spring falling out as I take it apart.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I can't see them building that many 929/954 to 980's so they should be able to give you some details about the engine. I also doubt they did many where they changed out the clutch to what you have in the pic above. The outer basket looks stock in the pic so I wonder if they had a new clutch center and pressure plate made to work with the stock basket. If you find any part numbers post them. I would do this to my 954 if the parts are from another bike or could be made for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No part numbers on the inner or pressure plate. I have a brand new Honda clutch stack for the 929 and was using it for comparison. I forgot that there are two separate plates that are different part numbers. I did not measure all the plates in the current setup but did not see any that were visibly different. The Honda steel fit the inner and the fiber fit the outer. I put it all back together and am just gonna find a way to make it work (either new cable or modify the lever). I will call speedwerks again tomorrow and give them some numbers I found stamped above the factory engine number. I hope it is some sort of in house identification number. I did a serce for 6 bolt clutch parts for a cbr929 and came up with nothing. I would at least like to know what to replace the fibers/steels with when time to do so.:idunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Emailed speedwerks last night and they responded. They remembered me calling before and answered some questions. The clutch is a Yoyodyne slipper clutch! I have to say, Speedwerks did a great job on this engine. Everything I have looked at is extremely well put together and looks like it came from Honda but better Slipper clutch, 980cc, ported and polished heads, and Not sure what yet but something has been done with the cams).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts