Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

cbr929 damaged lower engine case

644 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  machinehead 
#1 ·
are cbr929 lower engine cases interchangeable? , someone said they are machine matched

after removing stator cover lower case when it joins the bottom of stator has been smashed and bodged with jb epoxy weld and silicone glued over the top which hasnt worked
i could weld the huge 30mm x 40mm hole via weld build up technique but their is a huge risk of it failing

i have a spare engine thats blown - bottom engine ive been told, only brought it for the generator flywheel the lower case on the outside is in good condition but would this casing fit my existing engine thats in my bike now?

or shall i attempt to weld it with 4032 filler wire via AC TIG welding as i was once fully coded in aerospace sector .

#2 ·
I believe they are a matched pair. They could be made to fit together with machining most likely, but that costs time and money.
I think you can weld it, but it may be a better question for a welding forum. My limited knowledge is of using a copper plate behind the weld to support the pool but not stick to the weld.

#3 ·
The cases are a "matched pair" when manufactured. Do you have a picture of the "hole"? I had a pretty good sized hole repaired on my 99 900RR, and so did a buddy of mine on his 929. The case area at the stator is pretty thin and has been prone to cracking/chunking off in the event of hard drop on the left side. Might be better worth trying the repair before disassembly and crossing your fingers.

A replacement engine could be another idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.