Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Firstly what a great forum this is, I have spent many hours on here reading previous threads.

I have recently bought my CBR929 and it starts first time and rides well. The idle is a little rough but the main problem is after a ride turning the bike off it will not restart. If you wait a few minutes it will then start again.

After a read on here I have looked at the Fuel Pressure Regulator but there is no leak on the vent pipe. The bike does have an aftermarket immobilizer and alarm but that seems to be working fine.

Re fuel consumption, the fuel light has just come on at 110miles but I've been a little throttle happy...

Any suggestions on what I should try next?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Do you hear the pump prime when you get the no-start?
Your side stand is up, tranny in neutral, kill switch in the run position?

The aftermarket immobilizer and alarm would be the first suspect.
Unhook that system and see if the problem disappears.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jondog9,
Good question on the fuel pump. I will have to force the fault and make sure I listen to see if the pump primes.

Its not the stand, kill switch or neutral switch.
Removing the aftermarket imoboliser and alarm is no easy task!

I will listen to see if the pump primes next time it doesn't start. Following that could it be a intermittent tilt sensor? Or if it was the tilt sensor would I expect it to cut out when running?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
When you get the no start, does the starter crank the engine?
Do you get the self check and full power to the instrument panel?
I'm thinking if the pump primes, your bank angle sensor is probably ok.
Even if the pump doesn't prime, it could still be the alarm blocking power to the fuel, bank angle, or starter relays.
It could be a lot of things, but I would start with deactivating the alarm/immobilizer. I know how complicated they can be, I've had fits with car alarms in the past causing this problem.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,993 Posts
Do you hear the pump prime when you get the no-start?
Your side stand is up, tranny in neutral, kill switch in the run position?

The aftermarket immobilizer and alarm would be the first suspect.
Unhook that system and see if the problem disappears.
When you get the no start, does the starter crank the engine?
Do you get the self check and full power to the instrument panel?
I'm thinking if the pump primes, your bank angle sensor is probably ok.
Even if the pump doesn't prime, it could still be the alarm blocking power to the fuel, bank angle, or starter relays.
It could be a lot of things, but I would start with deactivating the alarm/immobilizer. I know how complicated they can be, I've had fits with car alarms in the past causing this problem.

All great advice Jon:thumb: I too would like to know if the starter works or not on the restart, or if it just cranks it's brains out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After some investigation, I believe the pump does prime however it then just cranks. The previous 2 times this has happened I have then opened the fuel tank, closed it and then the bike has restarted without problem. Could it be a fuel tank vacuum that prefers restart but does not cause a problem when the engine is running?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Have you cleared the vent line then? Do you hear a little suction when you first pop the fuel cap open?
You can lift the tank, look underneath and see which is the vent line and which is the overflow line. I believe the vent line is the smaller of the two. Occasionally I blow thru the lines to make sure they're clear. Then make sure the vent line doesn't get crimped when you lower the tank.
Hopefully, that's the issue, let us know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checking the vent pipes is my next point of call.

I cant comment on the suction sound because Ive had my helmet on.

I will keep you posted

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The smaller pipe under the tank was not connected and the larger one did have a slight kink. Since rectification I have not had the problem. Wish me luck and thanks for the pointers. I will post back if this is not the end...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts