Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm new to the forum and 929's in general and have a couple questions. Might be a long post as I'll try to give as much info right off the bat without leaving anything out.

A buddy of mine passed away a few years ago and his 929 has been sitting around since probably 2014. I just took it out of storage and brought it to my house where I've been trying to get it going. I changed the oil on it right away and tried starting it but no luck.

Turning the key, I could hear what I thought was the fuel pump priming but ended up being the servo motor and it doesn't shut off, so I assumed the motor was bad. I unplugged the servo motor and listened for the fuel pump - nothing. The tank had old fuel in it so I drained that, took the pump housing out and tested the pump quick by just plugging it back in and turning the key. Still nothing. I ordered a fuel pump kit from Quantum Fuel Systems. This came with a new pump, in-line filter and pre-filter. I cleaned out the tank with some vinegar to get any rust out and washed and dried it out and reassembled the pump assembly into the tank. Filled it up a bit, turned the key and could hear it prime. Good news.

Got it to start but it ran like garbage. Any bit of throttle and it basically wanted to sputter and die. I bought a set of plugs (NGK CR9EHIX-9) and changed them out. Didn't help the issue. I heard the fuel pressure regulators could go bad after some time so I replaced that as well. Still runs like shit. Stupidly I never checked spark on all of the plugs. I did check the first two I removed which I am calling cylinders 4 and 3 working from the right to left (left to right - 1, 2, 3, 4) and they did have spark.

He had another 929 in pieces in his basement so I took the servo motor off that and swapped it out for the bad one. The one I took out of the old bike was connected to the wiring harness but no cables connected. This one I could turn and feel the gears turning inside which seems like it should. The one I took out spun freely so I assumed this one was definitely no good. I connected the cables into their correct positions and re installed the servo motor into the "good" bike.

Starting the bike does take a few shots which made me think that it was a possibly fuel delivery issue - but I don't know enough about internals to say that. I did look down the snorkels with the top of the airbox off with the throttle slightly cracked and could see fuel coming from the injectors so I thought that was a good sign. It still runs like garbage though. Cracking the throttle basically wants to shut it right down. I can barely get it over 2k RPM. I will try to attach some videos I took while trying to diagnose. I set a camera up facing the exhaust valve that the servo motor is routed to and I barely saw it move. I'm not sure when it's actually supposed to engage or turn though?

One thing I did notice on this last attempt at running it is with the top of the airbox off and looking down the snorkels with the bike running was two instances where I saw a flash from down inside the motor. Almost as if ignition was happening and visible through the throttle bodies. This didn't seem right to me either.

It will run and will stay running, but any sort of throttle makes it want to shut down as if it's starving for fuel. If I crack it to maybe an 1/8 throttle, it runs real rough and RPM's fluctuate.

If anyone has any recommendations or needs any more info, let me know. I would really like to get this bike running without spending a ton of money bringing it to a shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not sure how to post videos, so if anyone would like some videos of what I am talking about and knows how I can post - please let me know. Or I can email/text whatever

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi , take a look at your MAP (vacuum hose) and IAT connections , have you set the Idle Screw while running ,any fault codes , as regards the video ,can you post on You Tube and place a link on here, afraid I'm useless with modern Mobile technology and cant help there

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ropp,

I will double check all of the hoses coming from the tank and airbox. As far as IAT connections - what are these? I did adjust the idle screw a little bit to raise the idle slightly but I believe I changed it back to lower. It does have the code 35 which as far as I know is the servo motor.

I'll try my luck at posting on youtube

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Given the two videos, do you believe that if the servo motor isn't functioning correctly, that this is the issue? Or part of the issue?

The couple of flashes of from inside the engine - what could be causing that?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Could be possible backfire your seeing in the funnels, might be easier to re-install servo or totally get rid, tie back flapper and set Exhaust Valve at open , the code 35 could be a historic one that needs getting rid of , a servo Buddy would do the same, you could try getting rid of the historic one by following the manual first then see where your at

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So If I totally eliminate the intake and exhaust valves, do I leave the servo motor plugged in just no cables connected? To eliminate the intake flapper I would just remove it from the air box, correct? And for the exhaust valve, I would remove the cables and set it at the 0, 90, or 180 mark? How do people typically fix it in position without it wanting to rotate out of position? Once again new to this so sorry if I’m asking questions that seem straight forward. I appreciate the help though big time.

As for the Servo Buddy,I’ve seen these online and they say it’s just basically “plug and play” but I would think you still have to remove the flappers in the intake and exhaust, correct?

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can just take them off the Exhaust valve roll them up and leave in position ,tie back the exhaust valve to a position that suits you ,tie back the flapper valve open and go from there. If you check this site for EVCG Valve elimination it will show you how to do it , it's been done plenty of times on this site, there's plenty of reading there and far better than me telling you what to do, but I'm always here(y)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
stood for that log it might be worth having the injectors cleaned professional; if you ca see fuel coming out of them and it runs like pants then there is a possibility of fuel leaking out and running too rich. this would add to starting difficulties instead of strait off the button.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I disconnected the cables from the EGCV and set it at 0° No noticeable change in revving. I did check the headers with a infrared thermometer and cylinder 1 (left when sitting on bike) is about 100° cooler than the rest

·
Registered
88 Posts
Could be an Injector fault, have you got another code up , or is it a clogged injector on #1 injector, have a look at the Blue/Black wire , check it back to the ECM Black connector at #10 pin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

newest video. No real change in throttle response or running in general. I threw the old plugs back in for the hell of it and checked for spark on all coils/plugs. I did notice that some of the coils packs weren’t totally seated on the plugs and maybe that’s why I had a cooler cylinder/pipe? Either way nothing seems to be making a difference. This is also with all cables for EGCV disconnected at exhaust and intake valve. Intake flapper completely removed and exhaust open at 0°.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Right enough , if it was an injector electrical fault it wouldn't start at all, it seems to starve of fuel when trying to accelerate , could you try opening the tank filler cap and try revving again , I'm thinking vacuum building in the tank or blocked breather lines, to save me reading through , have you installed a new pump?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts