Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 CBR 929RR cut out when i was riding it and wont start again. Changed the spark plugs, checked for blockages in fuel lines and nothing, all seams fine.
Got it to a garage and now he cant find anything wrong with it after spending 10 hours and £300 on new parts.
Any solutions or similar problems, any help would be great.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
My 2000 CBR 929RR cut out when i was riding it and wont start again. Changed the spark plugs, checked for blockages in fuel lines and nothing, all seams fine.
Got it to a garage and now he cant find anything wrong with it after spending 10 hours and £300 on new parts.
Any solutions or similar problems, any help would be great.

So it's running fine now?
Is the fuel pump priming?
Is the HISS functioning?
What is it doing exactly when you say "won't start"?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not running.
Fuel pump is priming.
HISS is functioning + new resistor fitted.
When I turn the key everything starts as normal but when I press the start button the starter motor tries to start the engine but it just wont start. Starter motor is in good condition and the battery is nearly new.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
It's not running.
Fuel pump is priming.
HISS is functioning + new resistor fitted.
When I turn the key everything starts as normal but when I press the start button the starter motor tries to start the engine but it just wont start. Starter motor is in good condition and the battery is nearly new.

It's not running and the mechanic can't find anything wrong with it but still got you to pay for parts that didn't need replacing?
Was anything done to the bike shortly before it failed - serviced or washed perhaps?
It's turning over on the starter just as it normally should?
Does it have spark?
Is fuel spraying out of the injectors while it's cranking over?
If it's not throwing any error codes then it's probably not a problem within the injection system so I would be looking at the ignition system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nothing done to it apart from the 90 mile run i had just done when it cut out.
its turning over just as normal.
but it has no spark and the mechanic cant find out why.
dont know about the fuel spraying and its not got any error codes.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
nothing done to it apart from the 90 mile run i had just done when it cut out.
its turning over just as normal.
but it has no spark and the mechanic cant find out why.
dont know about the fuel spraying and its not got any error codes.

Then it should be a matter of working back along the circuit until you find where the power is stopping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a haynes manual. Falkirk.
spark plugs, cam pulse generator and ignition pulse generator.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I have a haynes manual. Falkirk.
spark plugs, cam pulse generator and ignition pulse generator.

Was it throwing codes for the last two?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when the mechanic plugged into the computer it threw up the ignition pulse generator so he replaced it and it done nothing, so just going through process of elimation now, hense the cam generator.

·
Registered
270 Posts
when the mechanic plugged into the computer it threw up the ignition pulse generator so he replaced it and it done nothing, so just going through process of elimation now, hense the cam generator.

Have you checked the wiring to iginition pulse genertor just because the computer says its faulty it can just as easily be a break in the wire or a poor earth connection

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

But neither of these were causing error codes?
Did he check both circuits himself to confirm neither were working before he replaced them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But neither of these were causing error codes?
Did he check both circuits himself to confirm neither were working before he replaced them?
The ignition pulse coded when the bike was plugged into the computer.
Yes he checked it.

The garage has now given up and told me to take it to a main dealer, ie a Honda dealership. Prepare for my wallet to be raided. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also recently purchased a 2000 Cbr929 fireblade, from a dealership 5 days ago. And yesterday just after heading out on a ride no more than 2 miles up the road, i stop to put air in the rear tire ,, get ready to leave and nothing , It will not start. Got power , tried to turn over but seems there is no spark. This morning i checked the ignition fuse and it was fine. so i figured i would give it another try. this time i go to start it , and with clutch pulled in i push the start button , and the bike jerks forward. This does not happen in actual neutral , but in gear with the clutch engaged it jerks at the attempt of a start. yesterdy when it wouldn't start it wasn't doing the jerking action. anyone have some input?
thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it sounds like an ecm issue to me.My bike started off being hard to start and got worse.got a mechanic friend round to have a look.He done various multimeter tests and all looked ok until he stuck the meter in the ecm.pop.backfire.thats the last time it started until i got new ecm and ignition lock set.when the ecm went there was no error codes.fuel pump still primed and engine still turned over but no start.took it to honda dealership and traced it to the ecm.Now got the ecm and back to square 1 still hard to start,from cold from warm.I suggest you bite the bullet and take it to youre nearest dealership,it won't take him any more than an hour or so to find the problem

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
it sounds like an ecm issue to me.My bike started off being hard to start and got worse.got a mechanic friend round to have a look.He done various multimeter tests and all looked ok until he stuck the meter in the ecm.pop.backfire.thats the last time it started until i got new ecm and ignition lock set.when the ecm went there was no error codes.fuel pump still primed and engine still turned over but no start.took it to honda dealership and traced it to the ecm.Now got the ecm and back to square 1 still hard to start,from cold from warm.I suggest you bite the bullet and take it to youre nearest dealership,it won't take him any more than an hour or so to find the problem

It was hard to start.
The mechanic blew the ECU.
Replaced the ECU.
It's still hard to start.
Why are you blaming the ECU?
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm new to this sight and have just solved the same problem with my 929. I found after unplugging the ignition coils from the loom that I had 12 volts at the plug where where the coils plug into. The cam sensor plugs into a spur from the ignition coils and the sensor is located at the top left of the engine as you sit on the bike. It could only have been this sensor as I had eliminated everything else. I replaced the cam sensor with a sensor from a 1000RR5. The plug is different but you can rewire the old plug from the 929. With the sensor replaced she fired up on the button. Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts