Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the steering head bearings on my CBR929RR with OEM Honda ball bearings. Before I did this, I looked all over the 'net to see if anyone had already cross-referenced the Honda part numbers to standard part numbers, so I could just buy the bearings at a local bearing supply shop. No luck, so I had to overpay at the Honda dealer and then wait for them to arrive :(.

So, I thought I would do it now for posterity. Googlers of the future, you are welcome.

Upper bearing:

Honda p/n 91015-KT8-005
Koyo p/n SAC2647-1

Lower bearing:
Honda p/n 91016-KT8-005
Koyo p/n SAC3055-1

For completeness, the All Balls taper roller bearing kit is 22-1020 if you want to go that way--I chose to stick with the ball bearings due to steering feel.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Pretty certain most of the blades run the same headstock
Bearings..

When overhauling my CBR900RRR I used taper roller bearings..

Couldn't say I noticed any different feel in the bearings :idunno:

What do others say???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, lots of Hondas use the same bearing dimensions...even Gold Wings, but those are tapers from the factory, not balls.

I stayed with the balls based on input from some people I trust regarding sportbike handling. I figure, maybe I would get more life out of tapers but the OEM balls lasted 14 years and 26k miles. If I have to do this job again in 2028 so be it :cool:.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The bearings in my blade were balls as standard. I'm sure they are the same in many of the blades (Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports RonAyers.com). I fitted tapers when I replaced them.

Tapers are seen by many as an upgrade (this was my opinion, but now I am not so sure)... But I'm sure I have seen posts on here from others (who may be more knowledgable) that would just suggest the two bearings are different.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I also figured that tapers were an upgrade. I even ordered the All Balls kit, but in the end didn't use it after getting some conflicting info on balls vs. tapers. Maybe it's BS, maybe it's not, but I am happy with how the bike is handling with the replacement OEM bearings.

The specific reasons I heard for staying with balls were:

1. Tapers are difficult to adjust properly--and you can't use factory preload torque values, because these are defined for the balls

2. Tapers have a larger contact area, which adds drag and takes away some steering feel.

On the plus side for tapers, they will last longer than balls if both are maintained the same (due to the larger contact area, the tapers will wear less). But I can stomach doing this job every 14 years...

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
The bearings in my blade were balls as standard. I'm sure they are the same in many of the blades (Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports RonAyers.com). I fitted tapers when I replaced them.

Tapers are seen by many as an upgrade (this was my opinion, but now I am not so sure)... But I'm sure I have seen posts on here from others (who may be more knowledgable) that would just suggest the two bearings are different.

Tapers were certainly an upgrade years ago, but improvements in materials, design and manufacturing have made tapers redundant in my opinion. Modern OEM ball steering races are excellent and should easily last the life of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Yeah, lots of Hondas use the same bearing dimensions...even Gold Wings, but those are tapers from the factory, not balls.

I stayed with the balls based on input from some people I trust regarding sportbike handling. I figure, maybe I would get more life out of tapers but the OEM balls lasted 14 years and 26k miles. If I have to do this job again in 2028 so be it :cool:.

Which is exactly why I see no reason not to stick with OEM for these. If you had to replace them every year then certainly, aftermarket might save you some money, although OEM aren't exactly expensive.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
I too was sucked into the tapered bearing craze back in the 90's. And for all the same reasons described above, I went back to the OEM set up. I had tapers in with my stock triple clamp, but then changed back to OEM when I got my Attack Racing triple clamp. Can't torque properly, fit was a little off, and they seemed twice the weight. I could also tell there was less feedback from the front tire with them. Back to OEM again for project bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts