Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Very cool I have a VFR swing arm and hub at home how much machining did it take?? From what I have at home seems like a big job. How many hours did it take? Was it overly difficult on a scale of 1-10?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, what year is your swingarm? No, it was not really that bad, I have everything lined up perfectly. had to make a new pivot bolt, bushings, and shock linkage. If you have the right year model VFR swinger, 98-04, let me know, and I can guide you in the right direction.

Tom

·
Registered
737 Posts
Don't think it's complete.....I dare say it wouldn't ride too far without a chain!!! LOL

Looks good. I can't say I'm a streetfighter fan at all, but I'm impressed by what you accomplished.

Enjoy riding it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sime, I have put alot of time and effort into making this right, and look good. And no it will not ride well at all without the chain. LOL

·
Registered
240 Posts
First off, what year is your swingarm? No, it was not really that bad, I have everything lined up perfectly. had to make a new pivot bolt, bushings, and shock linkage. If you have the right year model VFR swinger, 98-04, let me know, and I can guide you in the right direction.

Tom
Are they much different than a '96 cause that's what I have?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I love single sided swingarms, until you get to the hub side and I'm like, let me go back to the otherside.......yeah.... that's nice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spookyjack, you will need a 98-04, it is the same setup as your 929. If you happen upon one, let me know, and I will give you the info you need to get it done.

Hondapowered, do you go to Quacker Steak on wednesdays? I will be there in the next couple of weeks, I have to finish polishing, and a few odds and ends to tie up.

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks pretty damn good ! How wide is your tire, can you go wider? I'm also planning on doing this conversion but have to get a swingarm 1st. I will for sure look you up when i get ready.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also what did you do for your front tire? What parts did you have to have machined and what about weight and handling? Thanks. keep it btween the ditches!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Also what did you do for your front tire? What parts did you have to have machined and what about weight and handling? Thanks. keep it btween the ditches!

Well, for the front tire I have not done anything yet, but I am looking at a RC51 front wheel, it is a 5 spoke. I had to have the swingarm machined, and I had to grind off a notch on the inside of the VFR swinger, so it would let the arm far enough forward to let the pivot bolt through. I had to make a pivot bolt that was the same size on the end as the old pivot bolt so that the pinch bolts will work on the swingarm carrier, then I had to make a sleeve that would go into the engine to space the new pivot bolt, and a spacer made to take up the space on the shifter side of the engine. Last but not least I had to make the swinger linkage. In the pics above, it was the first time I had it rolling, I sat on it, and the bike feels just like it did before the conversion. As for weight, it did add some pounds, maybe 10 or so. I cannot speak as to handling, I have not had it on the road yet, but I will let you know when I do, it should be in the next couple of weeks. When you get closer, I can give you more details.

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
AHHHHH!!! you're killin me...i've been dying to do this mod to my 929 for years...just lost an auction on ebay too for a vfr setup....looks great, really great...hopefully this season i can make it happen...enjoy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 69 Posts