Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to flush my coolant tonight and replace it with Engine Ice but I ran into an unexpected problem.

After the flush I could barely get 2 quarts of Engine Ice in (it should be able to take almost 4 quarts!!!).

I flushed by removing the upper radiator hose (main return) and running the engine up to operating temperature. I poured distilled water into the radiator as I revved the engine to get the water pump to flush all the water out.

Apparently there was still a little water in the system when I started to fill it with Engine Ice.

HOW DO I FLUSH THE SYSTEM COMPLETELY DRY BEFORE FILLING WITH ENIGNE ICE?

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
I just drained the coolant all out of my bike. There should be ( like these guys are saying) a drain bolt on the water pump. Also remove your radiator cap helps. I also removed one of the main radiator hoses, but at the time it was in my way for working on something else simultaneously.

·
Registered
347 Posts
pull the overflow line of the top right of the radiator. take out the bolt at the water pump, and theres also a bolt at the front left of the cylinders. start pouring into the radiator and flush away. after you refill, let it warm up and blip the throttle to get the air out the system, and fill the overflow a lil' extra and the system will scavenge the rest it needs after the burping.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there's a bolt on the cylinder block that allows you to drain the water jacket huh? i did not know that.

this was the main problem. how come they don't list or show this bolt in the service manual?

anyway, thanks for the help!! i am putting Pro Honda HP coolant back in next weekend. this engine ice stuff didn't do anything.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
there's a bolt on the cylinder block that allows you to drain the water jacket huh? i did not know that.

this was the main problem. how come they don't list or show this bolt in the service manual?

anyway, thanks for the help!! i am putting Pro Honda HP coolant back in next weekend. this engine ice stuff didn't do anything.
They do show it. Reread the manual.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dog gum it...you;re all right...

this forum sucks!!!!

(how's that for a change of pace?)

i see it now...the pics are side by side and i don't know why but i thought it was another angle shot of the water pump drain bolt.

sahhhweet

·
Registered
159 Posts
pull the overflow line of the top right of the radiator. take out the bolt at the water pump, and theres also a bolt at the front left of the cylinders. start pouring into the radiator and flush away. after you refill, let it warm up and blip the throttle to get the air out the system, and fill the overflow a lil' extra and the system will scavenge the rest it needs after the burping.

maybe a stupid question but do you blip the throttle with the radiator cap on or off?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I followed my service manual and I had 0 problems. I was actually suprised how easily I was able to drain dissasemble reassemble and fill my coolant system. I then nervously ran the motor up to temp to get the fan to turn on and the temp stopped rising at 213 degrees. Sweet!

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
maybe a stupid question but do you blip the throttle with the radiator cap on or off?
I did it off. I was watching closely as the bike warmed up, and once the thermostat opened, I could see movement in the cap opening. So I knew the coolant was circulating, and soon a few airbubbles came up. When they stopped, it was burped. Been spot on since then.

Is that what you meant?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did it off. I was watching closely as the bike warmed up, and once the thermostat opened, I could see movement in the cap opening. So I knew the coolant was circulating, and soon a few airbubbles came up. When they stopped, it was burped. Been spot on since then.

Is that what you meant?

yupp, thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts