Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’ll make this post quick as there seems to be no one that knows or has a idea of what is happening. My Cbr954rr 2002, had a whole tank of gas, yes 5 gallons leak straight into the crank. Then overflow out onto the ground, no idea what is happening. I’ve heard similar issues with no outcome and search all over to no avail. Please if you have experienced a issue like this let me know, The season has already started and I haven’t had a day to go ride since I’ve taken a deep search throughout the bike. Adding on with COVID-19 it isn’t the best.
-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
At a loss with this one matey, the only way it could get past the injectors would be that they were stuck open , and only for a short time while the pressure eased in the fuel line but it couldn't fill the tank in that short space of time to fill the tank , the pump would be have to be fully open and injectors the same making it a gravity feed, but cant see that happening, does the bike run at all ,and is there any fault codes

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I can't help either. Might appear as if no one's interested in replying, but this is really something not encountered.

My only thought is that had the tank been off, and you or someone had inadvertently connected the wrong hose to the fuel outlet?

·
Registered
92 Posts
How do you know it's getting into the bottom end?

From where exactly is it overflowing out?

I think I may know what your problem is, but don't want to get your hopes up. Need some clarification.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At a loss with this one matey, the only way it could get past the injectors would be that they were stuck open , and only for a short time while the pressure eased in the fuel line but it couldn't fill the tank in that short space of time to fill the tank , the pump would be have to be fully open and injectors the same making it a gravity feed, but cant see that happening, does the bike run at all ,and is there any fault codes
The bike runs fine, no white smoke nothing. Started Right up on the third crank. Throttle is smooth, it has been in storage for at least 8-10 years without fuel. But it runs really well with absolutely no issues. The pump works and it does well up to redline. The only issues is the fuel overnight leaks straight to the crank and over onto the ground. No fault codes as well, only has 1300 miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I can't help either. Might appear as if no one's interested in replying, but this is really something not encountered.

My only thought is that had the tank been off, and you or someone had inadvertently connected the wrong hose to the fuel outlet?
It’s all good with me, hopefully someone will see this or have had a similar experience!
Nope, nothing was ever changed. My father passed this bike down to me. I’ve grown up around it, it was never messed around with past the break in period, it only has 1300 miles. The fuel wouldn’t be getting to the injectors. But it was running great In the ride I took it out. Then overnight it just filled the crank, to the brim and over with gas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you know it's getting into the bottom end?

From where exactly is it overflowing out?

I think I may know what your problem is, but don't want to get your hopes up. Need some clarification.
I know it’s getting to the bottom end, as I was smelling gasoline in the garage. I opened the crank and gas leaked out, not oil straight gas. Sealed it up to go buy motor oil and after work saw the whole tank drained into the crank and ground. Took around 36 hours to drain the whole 5 gallons, i cleaned it up and around 6-7 gallons drained out the crank. The tank during storage never had any fuel. That’s the problem without looking for the overflow, it seems to drain into crank, then onto the ground. It’s a 954, only ran for 2 years. Which is why many people are at a list of ideas. There are very few places it can drain, I’d say vacuum or some other type of line.
All good, anything at this point helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How exactly did you open the crank?

Was this bike ever stored outdoors in freezing temperatures?
The crank, the fill bolt. I’ll send images in a moment, nope. It has always been in one place properly stored with fresh oil and no fuel in the tank. Been there for again 8-10 years. Only cold it met was a few times the door was open and it went down for around 30 min and back up after plowing the driveway. Other than that just the normal traffic out the Garage

·
Registered
92 Posts
Right at the dipstick fill hole...

I wouldn't risk starting it anymore till you solve this issue. The gas washing all the oil out of the bottom end bearings is asking for trouble.

Have you tried pulling the battery overnight after a fill to see if the problem persists?

That will isolate whether its an electrical injector/pump/ecu/wiring problem or some mysterious mechanicaly problem.

Are you leaving the key in the ignition? Is your ignition switch functioning correctly?

Do you have mice or other rodents in your garage?

Is your fuel overflow hose routed correctly to drain at the bottom of the bike?

I'll try to look at some diagrams to see how these things are plumbed when I get home later. I only know the carbed bikes off hand.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
. . . Took around 36 hours to drain the whole 5 gallons, i cleaned it up and around 6-7 gallons drained out the crank. The tank during storage never had any fuel. . .
I'm confused here. How the heck is 5 gallons of fuel going to fit in the crankcase and then 6 - 7 drain out? I'm assuming you're calculating the 4.8 US gallon tank capacity and adding the crankcase oil to that. But I just cannot comprehend that the crankcase has the physical capacity to hold such volume.

Not trying to be argumentative, but either measurements or interpretations seem inaccurate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right at the dipstick fill hole...

I wouldn't risk starting it anymore till you solve this issue. The gas washing all the oil out of the bottom end bearings is asking for trouble.

Have you tried pulling the battery overnight after a fill to see if the problem persists?

That will isolate whether its an electrical injector/pump/ecu/wiring problem or some mysterious mechanicaly problem.

Are you leaving the key in the ignition? Is your ignition switch functioning correctly?

Do you have mice or other rodents in your garage?

Is your fuel overflow hose routed correctly to drain at the bottom of the bike?

I'll try to look at some diagrams to see how these things are plumbed when I get home later. I only know the carbed bikes off hand.
I understand the don’t start it, have seen hydro locking before. Am not planning on it, I could pull the positive out and see,
Always pull the key out
Nope, we have bait all over and never see them
Unless there is a factory error all the tubing should be where they belong.
Alrighty, thanks for just taking your time and trying to figure this out!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm confused here. How the heck is 5 gallons of fuel going to fit in the crankcase and then 6 - 7 drain out? I'm assuming you're calculating the 4.8 US gallon tank capacity and adding the crankcase oil to that. But I just cannot comprehend that the crankcase has the physical capacity to hold such volume.

Not trying to be argumentative, but either measurements or interpretations seem inaccurate.
Apologies improper grammar, I drained out the crank around 6-7 gallons. Keep in mind i stuck a drain under the bike while I was gone in case it was draining out. 4.8 + around 1 gallon of oil likely a bit more for the storage. So around 1 and 1/2. Do the math and you get 6-7 gallons drained out. I took a drain pan that can hold 10 gallons and off my estimate that was right. The tank was topped off before the night. So no not all the fuel was held in the crank. Some drained into the pan while I was gone and the rest I removed the drain bolt and filled back up. At the very least there was around 5-6 gallons drained out. But the tank from my visual inspection seems to have no gas left.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Check your fuel pressure regulator on the left side of the fuel rail. Pull the rubber hose off the left side and turn on the key to cycle the fuel pump. If fuel drips out of the curved pipe on the FPR then its bad. When the FPR fails it dumps excess fuel into cylinders 1&4 through the vacuum lines and the fuel will leak past the piston rings into the crankcase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check your fuel pressure regulator on the left side of the fuel rail. Pull the rubber hose off the left side and turn on the key to cycle the fuel pump. If fuel drips out of the curved pipe on the FPR then its bad. When the FPR fails it dumps excess fuel into cylinders 1&4 through the vacuum lines and the fuel will leak past the piston rings into the crankcase.
I have recently checked other forums. It seems that is the common issue. I have a video of it leaking and I’ve pulled it. Are you sure it could leak a tank of gas into the crank or is there another variable added on? But yeah that is a part needed to be replaced regardless of the tank leaking into the crank.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Not sure how fuel can leak from the tank with the bike not running. You can remove the tank from the bike with it full of gas and it will not leak gas. Have you messed with the vacuum lines or disconnected/reconnected anything under the tank

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure how fuel can leak from the tank with the bike not running. You can remove the tank from the bike with it full of gas and it will not leak gas. Have you messed with the vacuum lines or disconnected/reconnected anything under the tank
Some of my confusion is right there. I always take the key out and bring it in with me, it doesn’t stay running. Unless from the factory they misconnected the lines, they should be exactly on spec. My father (previous owner) nor I have messed with any components besides the outside aftermarket mods. Something had to have gone bad, but again I highly doubt.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The return line from the FPR to the bottom of fuel pump would be only way I could see fuel draining from the tank with the bike not running. Replacing the FPR should fix your problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The return line from the FPR to the bottom of fuel pump would be only way I could see fuel draining from the tank with the bike not running. Replacing the FPR should fix your problem
Alright, I will be replacing that in the near future and let this forum page know my results. Seems to be the only solution besides replacing all of the fuel system, so I will be for sure trying that and seeing how it goes. Thank you brotha and stay safe!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts