Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is the first motorcycle forum I have joined. In fact, it's my first forum ever. I wasn't sure where or really how to post, so I am posting here.

I own a 2003 CBR954RR, and I must say that it is a fantastic motorcycle.

I joined the forum to try and de-mystify the following (yet likely already discussed) question; one that I know is likely impossible to diagnose over the internet, but I want to gather as much information as possible and try anyway:

I can hear a faint, soft, "knock" sound from my motorcycle.

Conditions of "knock" sound:

1. Heard at idle when motor is at operating temperature.
  2. No change to noise when clutch is pulled in.
  3. Occurs about 4 times per second (bike idles smoothly at about 1400 rpm).
  4. Seems to increase with engine speed.
  5. As engine increases speed, sound becomes more difficult to hear.
  6. As engine speed decreases, sound seems to be unchanged (no noticeable extra noise intenisty/volume).
  7. Cannot hear anything when engine is under load (moving and in gear).
The bike runs excellent, pulls hard, and has been well taken care of. Currently about 15,000 miles. Completely stock (besides fender eliminator and windscreen).

I use motorcycle-specific engine oil (in order to avoid brand-wars, will not mention brand) that is 10W-40 grade. Oil is near (but under) the top line of the sight-glass when bike is level (not on kickstand). Oil pressure warning light does work, but does not flicker or stay on when bike is running.

If you can "knock" or "click" your tongue inside your mouth when closed, that is the best way that I can describe the sound...yet it is just softer and fainter. But make no mistake, I am not paranoid...it is there and is indeed a "knock" sound. Several others have confirmed they can hear it, as well.

I have used a stethoscope/sounding rod and can *kind of* hear the noise best on the oil pan or bottom of the engine case on the right-hand (clutch cover) side of the motorcycle. However, I understand that engine noises travel.

I have heard all sorts of possible causes from the CCT (which I understand is more of a "rattle" noise) to a bad bearing (which *should/could* be a worse sounding noise and should appear under load) to "it's normal"...

What in the world is it? :confused:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I think you may just be paranoid and its just the engine sound. A lot of people know that these engines as well as many other honda made engines have a natural click. There is so many things going on in the engine that it can possibly be and i would hate to have you tear apart the engine for nothing...

One think that i know that may cause a louder knocking noise is the engine doesn't have enough oil in it. My 954 burns a little oil during normal operation after like a month or so that sometimes i keep an extra bottle on hand just in case.

another knock sound that has been heard of is caused by the cam chain tensioner. A big thing that alot of motorcycle guys swap out because the stock ones arent really great. a manual CCT will do the trick as well...

thats all i can think of

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your time and reply.

I hope it's just paranoia, but it's definitely not a "click". It's a noticeable "knock" but I agree...I would hate to have to tear the motor apart for nothing.

I've checked the oil level--it's right under the top line of the sight glass (when the bike is held upright and level).

Thanks for your recommendation on the CCT, however I am not sure if this is the problem. The stethoscope couldn't detect any noises (so far, that I can hear) from the cam chain area of the motor. Again, wouldn't that noise be more of a "rattle"?

Glad to hear from another 954 owner. Do all 954's really have this same sound?

Any further ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had two seperate CBR 954's. An '02 with 7K miles and my current '03 with 22K+, both made the exact same "ticking" sound. It's deffinately louder at cold start up and it becomes faint as it warms up. At first I was convinced it was a rod or lifter knock but after scouring the internet I found it's a very common noise. My solution to quiet the noise is to run 20w50 most of the time, but I don't ride much in the wet spring to use 10w40.

I know that we all have different explanations of "tick", "knock", "click", etc... but it sounds to me like you are hearing the common 954 engine noise. I wouldn't worry about it. They are pretty bad ass engines. Enjoy the warm front!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your response, codioos.

The bike is incredibly fun to ride, and I'll probably just leave well enough alone and enjoy the warm front you described.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts