Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, great site. I have a 98 fireblade that is a track bike only. I also have a ZX9 for the street but am thinking about getting a new left over 02-03 954.
Is there any diffs between 02 and 03. What are the opinions from owners. I have alot of rough road and was wondering about the tank slapper thing. Are they as quick as a ZX9? thanks :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
:welcome: to the org.

954 is a hopped up 929. Both are gonna be a lot lighter than that zx9 and a lot more exciting to ride.

the majority of the guy up here will tell you to buy a steering damper before you buy anything else for the bike

:thumb:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
subzero said:
Hello all, great site. I have a 98 fireblade that is a track bike only. I also have a ZX9 for the street but am thinking about getting a new left over 02-03 954.
Is there any diffs between 02 and 03. What are the opinions from owners. I have alot of rough road and was wondering about the tank slapper thing. Are they as quick as a ZX9? thanks :)
I have a 929 and I think even that is faster than the ZX9. the 929/954 are lighter (thats why I chose it over the ZX9) and have more power than ZX9 and that combo makes for going faster.

the tank slapper thing, are you reffering to the accident thing or the plastic tank protectors (just put them on my bike a week or 2 ago and they are awesome)

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I owned a 954. It was an outstanding motorcycle. Piece of cake to wheelie, comfy enough for light touring. Fast as hell. The headshake / tankslapper thing is nonsense. The bike will only get unstable under hard track use exiting corners, or if you land a wheelie crooked, shich you shouldn't do anyway.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
subzero, if you end up getting the 954, do yourself a favor and install a good steering damper. IMO it is the most important safety mod you can buy. This bike is light, has awesome power, and WILL experience headshake when the front end gets light. I don't know whether or not the weight of the rider is a big factor (I'm only 140 lbs.), but I certainly experienced headshake during the upper RPM ranges in first gear. It wasn't great, but enough to convince me to install a damper, Ohlins being my personal choice. I would guess that this scenario is the same with the 929. Good luck with your buying decision! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
DAMPER DAMPER DAMPER...phobia is an idiot dont listen to him, I had my bike less than a month when I laid into the throttle and experienced it the 1st and only time, threw on a Scotts damper and never had that prob again.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
To answer your questions about there being any difference between the '02 and '03, yes and no. The colors are different, and the late '02 and all '03 bikes had the step down steering bearings. The '02 954 initially had tapered steering bearings, which made some people cry about the steering being too quick. So Honda went back to the ball bearings used in the 929.
Does it make any difference? Not really, but since you asked................
Either way get a damper, and ride it.
Oh, and yes it will be quicker than your ZX9. Less comfy, but quicker.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
MrX954 said:
DAMPER DAMPER DAMPER...phobia is an idiot dont listen to him,
Bwahahahaaaaa! C'mon MrX, don't sugarcoat it, tell us how you really feel. I was tempted to make a similar comment, but bit my tongue instead. :D

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I love my 03' 954. I have never experienced head shake before, possibly because I weigh 220 lbs. The only problem I have had at high rpm in first gear, is keeping the front wheel down...is that a bad thing? :idunno:

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I love my '03 954 and have had no problems with the bike since it followed me home a little over a year ago.

A damper is cheap insurance in my opinion. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that increasing HP figures, short wheelbases, and lightweight make an excellent recipe for potential headshake.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
A damper is like insurance. Something you buy but hope you don't need, but when you do need it, and it is there, it makes life so much easier...

Z...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
I owned a 954. It was an outstanding motorcycle. Piece of cake to wheelie, comfy enough for light touring. Fast as hell. The headshake / tankslapper thing is nonsense. The bike will only get unstable under hard track use exiting corners, or if you land a wheelie crooked, shich you shouldn't do anyway.
I agree with you 100%...the 954 is a great machine!!

Not that I don't like it, but is that avatar legal? :deal:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
That avatar is my girlfriend, yes she's legal. She's 20 actually. :D

WHen MRX954 is old enough to get his motorcycle license maybe he'll get a chance to ride a 954. I only had mine for about 2000Km before I wrecked it but it never shook and I rode that bitch hard. Maybe it's my riding style I don't know. I put all my weight forward in turns and don't hang off much.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
BTW anyone want to buy a Sportech Double BUbble black chrome screen for a 954? $60.00 CDN FIRM. Extra to ship.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I had an 01 929 & currently own a 02 945.I truely believe the 954 is a way better balanced machince hands down,but then again I'm not a pro either.JMHO :idunno:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts