Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

diagnosing a charging fault (reg/rec), and wanted to share a whistlingnoise my blade has been making intermittently at idle, up to 1500 - 2000rpm. Sometimes goes away after a rev of the engine.

Thinking a pinhole in a hose or possibly the stator. Yet to remove the cover to inspect.
anyone experienced this?

cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
Does the noise go away when you pull in the clutch lever ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the noise go away when you pull in the clutch lever ?
No difference with clutch in or out, in gear or in neutral.
Comes on and off as it pleases, after it’s warmed up, and stops when I slowly increase the revs.

Have 20v ac from stator 3 pin, increasing to 50v ac @ 4500-5000rpm.
No continuity to ground.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No difference with clutch in or out, in gear or in neutral.
Comes on and off as it pleases, after it’s warmed up, and stops when I slowly increase the revs.

Have 20v ac from stator 3 pin, increasing to 50v ac @ 4500-5000rpm.
No continuity to ground.
No coolant leakage either..

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
very strange! it seems from the video that its loudest on the LH side. There's the stator (as mentioned) and the starter clutch on that side so guess it would be related to one or the other. If you take the stator cover off the started gear is under the same cover so would be worth investigating. remember to get a new gasket!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only had a chance to replace the Reg/Rec on the weekend, good result I think, charging system seems to be in order.

Then I did a Stator AC voltage check.
Only 12ACV on idle, and it drops when I increase the revs..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have ordered a gasket, will remove stator cover to examine the stator next. It was idling at 20acv and increasing to 50 acc with the old reg/rec. I’m sure it should be putting out more and increasing with higher revs.
The whistle still intermittently came and went but shorter periods, a mate suggested maybe a dry seal..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts