Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As this is my first post, it's best I introduce myself. My name is Jacques, I live in Cape-Town, South-Africa and I have purchased my first Fireblade this weekend. The bike has been in a wreck, so I got it for a very good price, with not much wrong that cannot be repaired rather cheaply.

My question is as follows, my registration papers shows that the bike is a 2005 model, which we all know cannot be true. With the bike being an Japanese import, I suspect that the bike was first registered here in SA in 2005. How do I tell the real year model by looking at the VIN?

Thanks,

Jacques.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi,

As this is my first post, it's best I introduce myself. My name is Jacques, I live in Cape-Town, South-Africa and I have purchased my first Fireblade this weekend. The bike has been in a wreck, so I got it for a very good price, with not much wrong that cannot be repaired rather cheaply.

My question is as follows, my registration papers shows that the bike is a 2005 model, which we all know cannot be true. With the bike being an Japanese import, I suspect that the bike was first registered here in SA in 2005. How do I tell the real year model by looking at the VIN?

Thanks,

Jacques.

The tenth digit of the VIN is the year indicator, it'll be a 2 or a 3 for the 954.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thanks for the link. I don't seem to have that little decal on my bike, only have the VIN stamped onto the neck.

Surely you need to have a VIN tag to be able to licence the bike?
Are you sure it's not stolen?
Also, down here, when a bike is seriously damaged in a crash the VIN tag is removed and the bike is listed on the Written-Off Vehicle Registry so it can never be relicenced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Surely you need to have a VIN tag to be able to licence the bike?
Are you sure it's not stolen?
Also, down here, when a bike is seriously damaged in a crash the VIN tag is removed and the bike is listed on the Written-Off Vehicle Registry so it can never be relicenced.
The bike is not that seriously damaged, main things to replace is LHS disc, sub-frame and radiator. The rest is all cosmetics. Here we have four vehicle codes dictating what the status of the bike is (1=Brand new, 2=Used, 3=Accident damaged/written off but repairable, 4=written off, only to be used as spares), mine is a code 2. I am very sure its not a stolen bike, I can trace it back all the way to when it was first registered in SA.

Come to think of it, haven't ever seen a VIN tag like that ever, but then again, I was never looking for it either. Will check on my friend's 929, it's an European import.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts